Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-01-2007 , 04:29 PM

Learning Z brush

Well my z brush came in today... and will be learning the program over the next few weeks... Sould be a lot of fun..

Playing with a old mesh i have..nothing great just tryng to get the interface move tools down...

Attached Thumbnails

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 2 09-01-2007 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
can you show the image before you applied zbrush displ map?

# 3 09-01-2007 , 04:41 PM
Yeah man, its great fun aint it!

I really like the zspheres to get some models basic shape down too.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 09-01-2007 , 05:44 PM
I also just got Z-Brush. How do I import/export to ZBrush/Maya?

# 5 09-01-2007 , 05:50 PM

Originally posted by MrTerminator
I also just got Z-Brush. How do I import/export to ZBrush/Maya?

Export it from maya as an .obj file (your gonna have to do this for the challenge, have a look in the maya help files theres a plug in included whthin maya) Z brush will then open the file (although it's upsidedown or some other orientation due to Z brush's up vector)

For some good free stuff look up Glen Southern at Kurv Studios theres some good free modeling tutorials on there.

# 6 09-01-2007 , 05:53 PM
THX for the quick answer user added image

# 7 12-01-2007 , 04:44 AM
more playing with the tools.. imported my orc head..... learning a lot so far.

Attached Thumbnails

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 8 13-01-2007 , 01:26 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hows it all going with Z now Kurt?

Have you discovered the bump shader yet? I think its just great for the smaller stuff. Im looking forward to landscape modeling with it. As gster says Kurv studios do some good stuff I bought their ZBrush traing DVD, it goes through everything very well..

Cheers
Jay

# 9 13-01-2007 , 02:01 AM
awesome.. will look into it ... ive been more playing around wiht ehr interface getting the feel of it will dive into the big book and do the tuts in it this week..

# 10 16-01-2007 , 10:45 AM
First mesh import into maya for rendering still gettng familiar with the menus getting more comforable with where things are so far... still a lot to learn and try out...

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 24-01-2007 , 12:39 PM
Subscriber

SWEET!

SWEET!

# 12 29-01-2007 , 06:37 AM
Subscriber
kurt did you use any quick tuts to get started or did you go the full monty and get the digi tut?? Gster gave me a link to a good tut (free) but I have lost it

take it easy and life will be easy
# 13 29-01-2007 , 11:14 AM
Looking good Kurt, personally ive only just scratched the surface with it, just gettingthe basic tools down, and getting used to the projection master, droping and picking up, using alphas for bumps etc) I'm waiting for a tablet before gettin really into it as its a right pain with a mouse!

Mirek - Have a look on Kurv studios, thats where the link for the free tutorials are.

Z brush is great, once you get the basics of how to model its very intuitive to get really good results, fast.

You still need to have a good base mesh to get the details in where you want them, without going to really high poly counts (such as loops where wrinkles will be for the mouth etc..). although its not a pre requisite as you could jut grab a sphere in Z brush and go from there sculpting (good way to get into it without getting bogged down in the detials)

# 14 29-01-2007 , 12:32 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I think Kurt got the manual too, I know you can buy it optionally when you order Zb, I got it when I got mine. You can be up and running easily in half hour to an hour

If all you want to do is bring in base meshes and sculpt then its a matter of minutes, seriously

Its a great piece of kit to have, Ive seen mudbox working as well now and to be honest, theres nothing there that is really different (from what Ive seen) except layers and displacement sculpting in 3d. But those are coming in Z 2.5 anyway plus a load of extras!! Its a case of 'Gentlemen choose you weapon'

Aslo worth noting if you order Z now you'll get the upgrade to 2.5 with all new features for free. Check out Pixologics site for the full spec. Unfortunately theres no official release date for it yet, but rumour has it it will be in the first quarter of this year!! Bring it on!!

Jay

# 15 29-01-2007 , 02:13 PM
Subscriber
Cool dude i cant wait to get enough money of the summer to buy these programs lol... I so wish pirating was legal... lol.

Looks good kurt.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz