Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-02-2007 , 08:58 PM

Cutting out shapes?

HI Im new to Maya, I have just started using Maya's tutorial and now Im trying to make other objects, I have decided to take up the project of recreating a theater stage however I have hit a bump...My problem is that I cant and dont know how to cut simple shapes out of objects, for instance Im trying to cut a circle out of a square...So please could someone help me with this it would be much appreciated.

# 2 07-02-2007 , 09:21 PM
Subscriber
What you do is:

1) move the cylinder so that it overlaps/ intersects the cube
2) select one object (the cube), then hold shift and select the other one (the cylinder)
3) In the toolbar at the top go to Polygons/ Booleans/ Difference

And that should do it user added image Try experimenting with the Union and Intersection settings and which item you select first; you'll get a lot of results to play with!

Good luck!

# 3 07-02-2007 , 11:47 PM

Thank You!

Wow that worked great thank you so much for the help!
I will play around with it and post my results later.

Thank you again I really Appreciate it and especially the fast response!

# 4 08-02-2007 , 09:36 AM
Subscriber
No prob mate!
Hope to see your work soon on the WIP board!

# 5 09-02-2007 , 10:28 PM

Previous work...

Well this isnt the theater one but this is my previous work for now, what do you think for a beginner?

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 09-02-2007 , 10:29 PM

Another...

and this one...

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 10-02-2007 , 08:01 AM
your works are great for a newbie , but dont make it a habit of using Booleans too much, since they produce quite horrible results sometimes...

i also liked Booleans before but now i hate them cus they became a pain in the butt

Maya is simple, but only if you believe it
# 8 10-02-2007 , 12:07 PM
Thanks Im sure I'll get the hang of the diffrent things in maya, not sure what you mean by boolean exactly, I know it in a whole as I program but animation side...is it diffrent?

# 9 10-02-2007 , 12:47 PM

Maya is simple, but only if you believe it
# 10 10-02-2007 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber
Dude, those are some nice effects! I myself am quite new to Maya and I wouldn't have a clue how to make those effects. Nice work, keep it up! user added image

And thanks, DotNet for that link; it's proved useful to me user added image