View Poll Results: Do you get payed for your Maya work?
No, I'm just a hobbyist. 12 48.00%
Occationally. I'm a part time freelancer 6 24.00%
Yes, I work in the CG industry. 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 29-04-2010 , 11:14 AM

Do you get payed for your Maya work?

So do you get payed for your Maya work?

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 2 29-04-2010 , 12:04 PM
Subscriber
I would love too but still having no luck finding anyone to offer me any work.

# 3 29-04-2010 , 02:19 PM
Lifetime Member
bah Im not good enough and probably never will be......................still Im a Surveyor, I build roads/pipes/estates etc etc etc so I guess its still modelling, just in real things, not as much fun though.

yeh tweet I hear yah! be nice

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 29-04-2010 , 02:50 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by bullet1968
yeh tweet I hear yah! be nice

Only took 5 years of uni and 3 years of looking so far - but who knows maybe one day

# 5 29-04-2010 , 03:08 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I've been paid in the past with some small freelance projects. But I'm not employed with any studio doing it (unfortunately).

But I keep working at it... then when I'm at a competitive level, I'll start working on a portfolio and see if I can squeeze my into the industry.

Tweety: You went to school for 5 years to learn CG?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 6 29-04-2010 , 03:13 PM
Lifetime Member
jeez tweety, I aint been to no skool. I learnt the hard way, through life but I reckon on a par with the guys that went to school, Im probably better in most ways because I learnt from the ground up, layed the pipes etc etc and dont rely on technology as much. Bloody hell mate 8 years all up!!!!! you should be making your own movies!!!!

All I can say is keep at it guys, I will never be that good and Im too old now, so I will be a Surveyor til Im dead.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 29-04-2010 , 03:14 PM
The Nurb Herd
i only recently started working in 3D.

I did a short course in VFX and got a job as a runner at a post house in london. did that for 6 months then moved into data wrangling for clash of the titans, worked there for 4 months then started in 3D. ...
from what i can tell, so far i've been pretty lucky and quick getting into the industry.

# 8 29-04-2010 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
Yer did a 2 year HND in multimedia then a BA in 3D Animation (3 years) - graduated in 2006 when I started work on a 3d film in Sept 2006 - but by the following April It went bust - With no ref it was impossible to find any other work.

I keep trying but now I think its never going to happen.

Too old for a runner or junior position and not enough experience to get an other CG job.

Sad I know but not a lot I can about it now

Last edited by tweetytunes; 29-04-2010 at 03:28 PM.
# 9 29-04-2010 , 03:29 PM
The Nurb Herd
work as a runner... its crap, but if you want to get your foot in the door its a good way to do it.
you may only be doing it for a couple of month. Its better handing a reel to someone in person that you know, rather than posting it to someone anonymous. There are people i know that were running fort about 3 weeks. They were just in the right place at the right time.

# 10 29-04-2010 , 03:40 PM
Subscriber
Infact applied for Framestore yesterday as a runner - I would love to just get my little toe in the door let alone my foot.

I have applied many times before to a few different comps - never heard anything - not even a no, which is really getting on my nerves as I still don`t know what they did not like.

# 11 29-04-2010 , 07:27 PM
Subscriber
I got super lucky and had the opportunity to dive in straight after Uni.

Though I think I would still be looking if they didn't happen to need a Crowd TD just when I had finished make a crowd based uni-project..

cheers,
Chris

# 12 29-04-2010 , 08:52 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah Hammer is right, if you find it hard, get a reel done and apply as a runner. The work is pretty crap but you will get a foot in the door. I work at Cinesite in London atm and they run a schedule thing for the runners until they are 'broken in' then they get given a full time job.

cheers
Jay

# 13 29-04-2010 , 08:59 PM
Subscriber
tweety, do you follow up on your applications? i hear that it helps if you call them up after a while (maybe a week, not too soon or you will sound desperate)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 14 29-04-2010 , 09:13 PM
My luck just turns on and i work for US animation company. I'm working from home but i have monthly animations so it's enough for my bills. I'm still 20 so i'm just learning myself . I'll need a solid portfolio to get into the game industry so i'll work on it while i'm studying programming languages in the Uni. user added image

# 15 29-04-2010 , 10:12 PM

Originally posted by Jay
Yeah Hammer is right, if you find it hard, get a reel done and apply as a runner. The work is pretty crap but you will get a foot in the door. I work at Cinesite in London atm and they run a schedule thing for the runners until they are 'broken in' then they get given a full time job.

cheers
Jay

Jay, we gotta meet some day. I just started at Cinesite last Monday. Came from Double Negative after three and a half years user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!