Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 05-01-2011 , 06:54 AM
Subscriber

First model

Hey everyone! I'm completely new to Maya but it's been on my computer for quite some time and now I want to actually learn as I'm starting to have interest in creating games and I wanted to create my own character for my first game. Hours ago I bought the video training tutorial "Low Poly Character Study - Freeky " and followed the steps in creating my own character from a different reference instead of the one in the tutorial. I wanted to post progress and know what you guys think so far?

I screenshotted it, don't know if that's the correct way to show what I've got done (and let me know if it is please? :p) but here it is! (attachments below)

The reference I'm using (not mine): https://www.brianluk.com/gallery/pict...et_colored.jpg

Questions/Concerns I have:

1. Is it because I'm modeling with nurbs that it doesn't count my Tris/Triangles?
(I need to know because the game engine I'm using has a limit of Tris which I think is 1000 or 2000)

2. Tutorials on low poly hair? Links would be much appreciated.

3. How would I go about clothing her?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by TonyNooblet; 05-01-2011 at 07:07 AM.
# 2 05-01-2011 , 09:21 AM
Subscriber
I apologize for double posting but I have a few problems user added image

When I click a vertex, the surrounding changes colors and it moves as I adjust that vertex and it really bugs me somehow. (Attachment below)

Also I accidentally pressed the space bar on my work space and it did something and now my top left workspace/view and right are now linked and have the same view. I've tried to change it back to "Top" or "Perspective" but it just changes both of them if I try to change one.

Attached Images
# 3 05-01-2011 , 01:59 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well one you have shaped it out just convert the model to poly - game engines dont use nurbs as they are too heavy. You can keep the nurbs object connected to the poly too as long as you dont delete the history

ahh you have turned on soft selection by hitting the B key. To turn it off hit B again.

also if you double click the tool you are using and go to its settings, you can scroll down and turn on soft selection here as well.

hope that helps

Jay

# 4 05-01-2011 , 10:43 PM
Subscriber
Update! I've learned so many things in the past day!

I'm still stuck with three views that are the same in my workspace. If I change one to Perspective or other it changes the two views, any help please!

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 06-01-2011 , 12:10 AM
Administrator
Looks like a good start, you'll have clothes covered later in that tutorial and for the hair as it's a low poly cartoon style model you should be able to get individual hair strands simply by modeling them using the same techniques with lofting surfaces and converting to polys as i think is used for the belt in the tutorial.

For the viewports all controls are on the panel menu bar above, not sure i got it right but if you go to panels > layouts/saved layouts you can set the viewport layout as you like.
Then go to panels > perspective (set individual viewport to perspective) / orthographic (front, side, top) / panel (render view and other things) should just set the one and not all.

Hope that helps,
Nilla

# 6 06-01-2011 , 04:58 AM
Subscriber
Okay now I'm having major troubles. So your advice worked and seperates the viewport to unfollow each other but when I click on a predefined bookmark, I can't seem to find my model now matter how much I zoom in/zoom out. What happened?! Is it because I'm modeling in units of meters?

# 7 06-01-2011 , 07:14 AM
Administrator
Just hit a on the keyboard it frames everything thats in your scene so it should bring it back. Also you can frame selected objects with the f key, all geometry that's in your scene can be selected in the outliner if you can't find it in the viewport.

# 8 06-01-2011 , 09:03 AM
Subscriber
Hmm! When I press F or A it zooms in and I see my model for 1 second and as it finally reaches the zoom point, everything in the viewport disappears. :s

And I'd like to thank you for all your help by the way!

I recorded it: YouTube - maya problem

Last edited by TonyNooblet; 06-01-2011 at 09:33 AM.
# 9 06-01-2011 , 09:41 AM

Hmm! When I press F or A it zooms in and I see my model for 1 second and as it finally reaches the zoom point, everything in the viewport disappears. :s

And I'd like to thank you for all your help by the way!

I recorded it: YouTube - maya problem

this might work if u want to see your model??? select your camera and change your Far Clip Plane then maybe u will be able to see it, dont know, i had the same problem when i started, but cant remember what i did user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 06-01-2011 , 10:04 AM
and make sure u have not selected anything else just your model, or like Nova said, dont select anything and press A

# 11 06-01-2011 , 10:09 AM
Subscriber
It worked! Thanks so much!

And would you happen to know how to center things at grid?

# 12 06-01-2011 , 10:25 AM

It worked! Thanks so much!

And would you happen to know how to center things at grid?

it dipence where your pivot of model is, all what you do is press X and snap your model to the centre with move tool selected, if you want to change your models pivot - press "insert" button - change pivot and then the same button again, or what i use while holding button D change the pivot and release D, thanks

# 13 06-01-2011 , 10:39 AM
Or press "modify" on top menu and then press "centre pivot"

# 14 06-01-2011 , 11:46 AM
Subscriber
Thanks so much! You guys helped me so much. I'm finding Maya really fun and not frustating whatsoever.

I finally created clothing! But is it how most people go about doing it? Duplicate Model > Delete parts (head or legs or etc.) > Extrude/ScaleVerts/MoveVerts/Etc > Delete faces of base model under clothing. Somewhat learned it from the video tutorial I've started with.

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 07-01-2011 , 05:20 AM
Subscriber
I have a question about rules of geometry

If I deleted this edge in the following picture, would I have to delete the remaining edges?
(Which is there because of me attaching a hand to the body/arm and splitting the polygons of the body to connect it.) I actually want to delete those edges up until the wrist so I can decrease polycount. After the wrist, deleting those edges would mess up my hand :s

Attached Thumbnails