Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 06-02-2003 , 08:32 PM

Stich tool (?)

Hello,
I have modeled a dog leaving from some spheres, one for the body and one for every leg. In order to join several elements I have before decomposed them making detach curves of isoparm (example: a leg with 8 spans I have it uniform in 4 vertical strps of 2 spans) and then I have joined the several ones pach biside, of several the elements, through the stich edge tool. After I have applied to all the model the global stich. Apparently it seemed all ok but making a test of rendering the several ones are looked at pach marked from a line clearly that of it delimits the edges. . You succeed to understand where can be the error?
I have understood that in order to eliminate my problem it must, after to have made the stich, to join the single ones pach through attach surface, so as to to form one single mesh. But problem rises other in how much attach surf can collegare, only pach that they share an only side, what that not always is therefore, above all connecting legs to the body. How I can make?

I enclose you an image.

Thaks to all

# 2 06-02-2003 , 09:07 PM
The Maya Mountain
Select all your surfaces.

Go to Window > General Editors > Attribute Spreadsheet.

Click on the Tesselation tab.

Turn on "Explicit Tesselation" for all your nurbs surfaces. You may also want to turn all your surface's curvature tolerance to High Quality and if you scroll to the right, turn "Use Chord Hieght Ratio" off.

Experiment with some of these tessellation settings to get the result you want. The Attribute Spread Sheet lets you make changes to all your patches at once.

# 3 07-02-2003 , 03:13 AM
Mike thanks, with a click, you have resolved two days of combat, thanks many. :banana:
I have still a small aid to ask to you: when I will animate the model I will not have problems considering that the pach they are however uniforms? user added image

# 4 07-02-2003 , 03:58 AM
The Maya Mountain
I'm afraid I didn't understand your question... ?

# 5 07-02-2003 , 04:19 AM
dont forget to give credit to maya savvy for the tutorial on that image! user added image

# 6 07-02-2003 , 05:58 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I'm afraid I didn't understand your question... ?

Excuse me but I don't speak English well, i'm Italian.

I try again:

I will be able to animate this model without problems, even if is formed from many individual parts ?

# 7 07-02-2003 , 05:59 PM

Originally posted by dbirider
dont forget to give credit to maya savvy for the tutorial on that image! user added image

As far as the tutorial that I have followed is relative to the book Maya Mastering 2, I did not have intention to take to me to the merit of this model, considering also my problems from amateur....
Excuse me

# 8 07-02-2003 , 06:36 PM
The Maya Mountain
oh, I see. Sorry.

You are able to animate it with multiple patches, however it can be a little difficult to setup, as you have to make sure the weights of all the CVs on the patch seams are equal to the ones they touch, making sure they don't break apart.

What I normally do, to save time, is convert the geoemtry into polygons and combine and merge together, creating one mesh.

# 9 08-02-2003 , 03:34 AM
I try and I make to know you.
Thank you very much !!!