Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 13-08-2014 , 06:23 PM

Maya viewport performance FPS oddity

Hi guys,

I have a scene imported from motion builder with 22 characters, so quite a few. All rigged with skeletons etc. and Animated. I have maya 2015 and i'm getting a nice smooth frame rate if I move the camera around in the viewport and look around. But if I playback I only get like .1 FPS, too slow to be workable. Since it only happens on playback and not single frame display it seems like it would have something to do with trying to display all the bones and rigs? I've tried hiding these but it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas on how I might be able to achieve smoother playback? Even if I set display to bounding boxes it's still only about 3fps on playback!

I have a quadro k5000 so pretty nice video card.

Thanks for any assistance!

-Ethan

https://mayazest.blogspot.com/
Production Tips and Tutorials!
# 2 04-12-2014 , 12:29 PM
I had this problem before
make sure to turn off (deform user normal) in every skin cluster which is turned on by default
and set vertex animation cache to hardware in viewport2 setting
viewport 2 calculates everything even if they are hidden and if you have a skin cluster having this feature turned on vertex cache will not work at all

Last edited by bestanimate; 04-12-2014 at 02:01 PM.