Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 06-07-2005 , 05:56 PM

getting UV map to PS

Can anyone point me to some instruction on getting a UV map of an object into photoshop. I have watched the texturing video tut that Mike did but how do you get the map from maya into a targa or whatever type file. I am messing with the texture editor and did a UV snapshot of an object but the image it created didn't look like what I expected. Any info would be great. thanks.

# 2 06-07-2005 , 07:25 PM
Subscriber
ok, goto window/uv texture editor, then take a snap shot once uve aranged the uv's how u want em, then take the jpeg or what ever into photoshop. once uve painted on the jpeg save it as what ever then open up hypershade, make a new lambert or what ever then apply the jpegfile(u just created) onto the lambers colour, then drag drop(attatch) it to the model

# 3 06-07-2005 , 11:28 PM
I thought that the UVs were situated on the vertex points. When I look at the UVs by right clicking that is how it looks like they are layed out. What type of arranging is needed then? I understand getting the snapshot to PS, now that i know that is what exports it to a useable file, but how do you set them up then?

# 4 07-07-2005 , 10:35 AM
Subscriber
hi, this has been discussed before on thsi forum,

link

also try this

https://www.mtmckinley.net/ he has a tutorial there under tutorials>modeling>Polygon texturing

# 5 07-07-2005 , 04:12 PM
thanks that is the inof i was looking for.

# 6 07-07-2005 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber
no problem