Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 30-10-2005 , 12:52 AM
Subscriber

Modeling a building

hey people, umm, well its not been very long sense ive found this website and i think its great, but until my points go through i was hoping for a helping hand from you guys.

Basically im attempting to help some friends make a game, and im just making models for them. Well im extremly new at this, as are the rest of the members of the team. My question is can anyone help me get started on making a building.
I want to make a appartment building for right now, w/ windows, a front door, maybe a ladder system on the side eventually. Ive got the basic poly cube extended out and whatnot, but i want to round out the roof and edced of the building, can anyone tell me how to do that. Any tips on how to do anything i mentioned earlier would be helpful too.

Just bear in mind i dont know maya at all, so dont expect me to know all the quick keys you guys know. Sorry, still learning. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

# 2 30-10-2005 , 06:08 AM
It all depends on what type of building you wish to make...

Concept art?

# 3 30-10-2005 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber
best ive got is a screen shot of what ive done. it looks like scribbles, but i panted in what id like to do. Im just getting started so i know its not the best.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 30-10-2005 , 04:50 PM
Subscriber
Yes, I am having some trouble looking into this as well. I have been trying to do a skyscraper for some time now, but people have been lacking in the help department for certain things. IE REFLECTION MAPS :angery:. But its all good, hope you get it worked out.

# 5 30-10-2005 , 09:47 PM
i wish to know also about this.
about the glass, do we just need to create a flat poly there, then later texture it as glass? i haven't learn the render stuff,

# 6 30-10-2005 , 11:20 PM

Originally posted by alienscience
Yes, I am having some trouble looking into this as well. I have been trying to do a skyscraper for some time now, but people have been lacking in the help department for certain things. IE REFLECTION MAPS :angery:. But its all good, hope you get it worked out.

Reflection maps -- do you mean reflectivity maps or Cubemaps? Maya doesn't support Cubemaps -- but there's a MELScript which hacks it in, I believe its hosted here.

https://www.simplymaya.com/download_p...tid=9&typeid=4

Reflectivity maps are just like specular or transparency maps.

# 7 03-11-2005 , 03:32 PM
Subscriber
Oh, thanks. But I was looking for something that specifically reflects an image. Like a mirror if you will. Similar to this pic.

user added image

# 8 03-11-2005 , 08:07 PM
If you want glass that is reflective just use a blin shader. Make it transperent and turn up the reflectivity. If you actually model the windows you can select by face and just assign the shader to each face. as far as rounding the edges try bevelling. To render you will need to turn on raytracing in the render settings.

Just a squirrel trying to get a nut!
# 9 03-11-2005 , 08:19 PM
might need to do a texture with a fresnell effect on to get the right look