Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-12-2013 , 12:23 AM

Lighting from around a corner (MR)

Hey guys,

I'm not so great at lighting, and though I've experimented a lot, I'm not having much luck with what I'm trying to achieve here..

I have a cave, with a couple of twisting tunnels coming down to it from the surface, and want light to bounce around these tunnels and light up the inside of the cave, regardless of the lights actually having a direct line of sight to the inside of the cave.
user added image

So far I'm just getting the rims of the tunnels lighting up on the inside, and nothing else.
user added image

There is to be further lighting, from glowing objects, but I want this light spewing out of the tunnels to be quite obvious.
I want to have beams of light being visible, as they are through the dust in a crack in a curtain, without the cave really looking misty/foggy, and I was hoping somebody could give me an accurate, or atleast convincingly realistic way, to achieve this.
Keep in mind there will also be water falling down these tunnels, so a lot of caustics are going to be at play here.
This is the general layout of the cave, and also, there cave is not just a cross section as far as the lighting is concerned.. there is a back half to both the cave walls and the water, making a complete cave that should trap the light, being about twice the size of what's visible, just with the outer piece having Primary Visibility disabled.
user added image

However, I'm a total noob when it comes to photons & caustics, have barely ever touched them, only know the basics of what I'm doing with Final Gathering and Global Illumination, and don't know what Irradiance Particles or Importons even are..

If someone can give me the quick breakdown of what settings I should be looking into to achieve these kind of effects and the basic things to aim for & to avoid, I could find the right tutorials a lot easier, but nothing I search for seems to have much relevance for the kind of effects I'm going for other than the basics of refractive caustics which I more or less understand already.

I've tried pumping up the brightness on the spotlight to 5000.
user added image
But there's hardly even a few barely visible highlights inside the cave, splotched around as dots, not lighting up the interior, compared to the blinding brightness at the entrance to the hole.
I'm at a loss for how to have this light spread out around the cave lol =S

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate any advice you can give me! =)
Tony

Last edited by Antonin Ganner; 08-12-2013 at 01:26 AM.
# 2 08-12-2013 , 02:00 AM
Super Moderator
I have good news and bad news.

Good news, Mental Ray can do all that and then some.
Bad news, since you're a self proclaimed noob and Maya's Mental Ray isn't the most user friendly, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

1.If you haven't looked into linear lighting, then do so. You're lighting/shading will be 1000% more realistic and you'll have to fiddle with balancing lights way less.

2. I'd say that you can safely ignore Irradiance particles and Importons, in their current limited state, while handy in some situations, they're simply not a replacement for photons and or FG.

I did a blog post on interior lighting, even though it uses the physical sun as a light source, this is applicable to any type of light, just remember to use quadratic decay on it since it's closest to the way real world lights fall off.

And of course there is the parti volume node for god rays and other volumetric effects.

- Genny