Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 23-02-2005 , 08:49 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Blomkaal

Well I have had a look, and as always when I look at this stuff I tend to open a can of worms!! It just gets worse because you change one part and it leads to another etc
But see what you think anyway you might not wanna do it.

As for texture tuts...no, sorry take too long but if you pm me ya email I'll send you some bits how to do it. Im still trying to finish certain other things for people but I just dont get enough time in the day for the tut stuff, but anyway you have Simply Maya and Photoshop at your disposal here

Cheers
_J

Attached Thumbnails
# 32 24-02-2005 , 04:47 PM
Subscriber
Thanks a bunch J-Man! user added image

Don't sweat it about the texture thing, I still have loads to do on the model before I start off texturing, so I'm in no hurry...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 33 24-02-2005 , 08:26 PM
Dude

You have an email waiting

_J

# 34 24-02-2005 , 09:16 PM
Subscriber
This is progressing nicely! You can always count on mr J with this type of thing user added image

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 35 24-02-2005 , 09:24 PM
Dude

Try again at that new one!! Fingers crossed!!

_J

# 36 25-02-2005 , 10:05 PM
Technical Director
I think you have a bit too much geometry right now. other than that, its looking good so far.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 37 25-02-2005 , 10:15 PM
When you say 'too much geometry' what do you mean precisely?
I'm curious.

Cheers
_J

# 38 26-02-2005 , 01:27 AM
Not that i've got very much going for me yet, but you don't want to add too much geometry before you make use of it. I think he's saying that if you add too much right off the bat, you'll get yourself in over your head and not be able to focus quite as well. Plus I think that anytime you can get rid of polygons without killing the flow, it's a plus.

Other than that, this is looking great, make sure to add the regular human inaccuracies in the face, some type of wrinkling, stuff that the geometry can do for you before texturing.

# 39 26-02-2005 , 09:59 AM
Oh I see I'm not very good at this sort of modelling at the moment, Im still learning too.

_J

# 40 27-02-2005 , 02:10 PM
Subscriber
Still no mail... Kinda freaky and a little scary actually user added image

Oh, and Jango, an amateur like you should be caryful not to make enemies with the big boys! You might get hurt :p

But thanks for the comments everyone

# 41 27-02-2005 , 02:15 PM
Indeed. user added image I have no chance really

Weird with the email stuff I'll try again later on.

_J

# 42 28-02-2005 , 04:33 PM
Subscriber
Finally got it (yesterday though)! Thanks a lot...

Do you use photo source for all of your textures?

# 43 28-02-2005 , 07:17 PM
Hey Blomkaal

At last!!! Hooorrraaayyyy!!! I'll send you some more soon.

The answer to your question is yes, most of the time as a starting point, then I spend a good day or so making the texture from the source and air brushing bits in or out. Im lucky as I have access to a very good hi res digital camera, that can shoot up to 3000dpi. I recently made a head at work, complete with texture, and a girl that works with me saw it while I was doing it and thought the model looked exactly like me (even though it didnt) but the skin made it like me so I have to create a 'new skin' by adding color and removing pimples etc, lots and lots of editing until its right.

Ive only created one hand painted texture so far and that is on the girl character in my graphic novel, I didnt think stubble nd a beard would suit her really:p

Talk soon
_J

# 44 01-03-2005 , 03:51 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jango
Ive only created one hand painted texture so far and that is on the girl character in my graphic novel, I didnt think stubble nd a beard would suit her really:p

Yeah, she might be a bit masculine, but a 5 o'clock shadow might be a tad to much user added image

I guess I'll have to buy a digital camera sometime soon then... Anybody got some suggestions/recommendations?

# 45 01-03-2005 , 03:54 PM
Subscriber
Oh, and a quick question:

If I start laying out the UV's now, how will they be affected if I start messing around with my edgeflow later on? I'm aware that there'll be some tweaking to do, but will it be some minor things or pure disaster?