Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-11-2005 , 11:34 AM

Ships Hulls, any tips?

Hey

I am just trying to model I World War 2 era destroyer at the moment. Probably a bit ambitious for a first project but we'll see how it goes.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has any tips on creating a ship's hull. The current version consists of 4 NURBS patches joined with attach surfaces.

I tried using loft together with a series of curves shaped in 'U's of verious sizes but ended up with a series of weird shapes particularly at the front where the lines converged.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 15-11-2005 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber
Nice looking hull! I tried "ship modelling" with NURBS a long time ago and realized that there comes a point where maybe NURBS aren't the answer! Personally, I only use nurbs to get a general shape and then convert to Polygons.

You might try converting the NURBS hull to Polygons, adding whatever detail you like and then converting the Poly mesh into a Subdivision surface. The Spitfire tutorial (on this site) has a lot of useful information to that effect. In that tutorial, he starts with a NURBS sphere, molds it into a general shape, adds isoparms, and converts into a Poly. From there, he goes back and forth between Poly and SubD's. The final version is rendered as a SubD, though a high Poly version looks almost as good.

Add as many isoparms to your present hull as you think you'll need and then convert to Polys. Then try converting to SubD's and see if the hull still has its nice curved profile.

Have fun with it. One of my first projects was a WWI era dreadnaught battleship, and I learned a lot from doing it!

Carry on...

"Ad astra per aspera..."