Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 18-08-2008 , 04:07 AM

Purchasing Software

Right now I only have the PLE 8.5 Maya, and I'm assuming this has limited functionality (for lack of a better word) which means that after I get a hang of things, I would need to buy one of the full programs. Now my question is, did everyone here spend 2-4 grand for the software, because that's all I see on the autodesk site, or am I completely missing something here....?

# 2 18-08-2008 , 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
Theres the free PLE version, theres the student version which you get at a major discount, you pay like a few hundred bucks, and then there are the commercial versions for which you have to shell out $2000-$5000.

- Genny
# 3 18-08-2008 , 04:22 AM
Thanks for the quick response....since I don't have anyone offering me millions for a model of a hand, which is currently all I can do, so it looks like the student version will be the next thing for me.

I've looked around, but can't seem to find the student software online. If possible, could someone link me it?

Last edited by iMattTG; 18-08-2008 at 06:08 AM.
# 4 18-08-2008 , 09:34 AM
Subscriber

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D