Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-08-2009 , 02:20 AM

Smiler

I've been wanting to do some sculpting in Zbrush lately, so thought I'd build myself a creature mesh to play about with.

I've got a fair idea of what I want him to look like at the end, but I'm also going to treat this as a bit of a 3d doodle, stick to the plan but with flexibility for some new ideas as they come along.

At the moment it's just some kind of mutant horror game style creature, but we'll see what he mutates into as it goes!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-08-2009 , 02:50 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I would give him some teeth and i would make his inside of his mouth like a humans by doing extrudes down the throath and use ZBrush to detail and refine the character.
And also create his eyes or at least poly standins which have the same shape and size as the eyes you plan to render this way you can detail everything and work on eyeshading and texturing a bit later

Looks like a fun character thoughuser added image

# 3 24-08-2009 , 02:57 PM
Thanks Mastone,

I've added some stand-in eyes already, and a tongue (which I may not keep, it looks a bit too "Generic long slimey etc") and will be starting on the teeth soon.

The throat will be a bit more like a humans, just not pulled it into shape yet, and yes, this will be going into Zbrush (the whole reason for doing the character in the first place, to get some sculpting practice in)

But cheers for the comments, I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with this guy!

# 4 24-08-2009 , 10:00 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Awesome... will be cool to see what you come up with.

Will keep my eye on this... gotta love ZB!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 5 25-08-2009 , 01:38 PM
Cheers Steve,

Figured I don't spend enough time in ZB, so thought I'd better sort that out! lol

Got going on it again a little while ago, gave him a bit of a gum line, ready for his teeth, and will make a start on them next, and then move on to the body. Fun fun fun!

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 25-08-2009 , 01:45 PM
Looks like a good start. If your going to use it as a sculpt test I wouldent bother too much wit hthe topology.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 25-08-2009 , 02:17 PM
Thanks Steve,
yeah, I thought that, but then I find myself tweaking the verts and trying to get everything lined up right....! Can't seem to stop myself!
I guess it's not a bad habit to get into, and maybe I can use him for something else later on down the line too, keep thinking of having him animated, leaping about and attacking people.
We'll see, should first probably try and concentrate on the main reason I'm doing it really, sculpting! lol!

# 8 25-08-2009 , 03:44 PM
Got some makeshift teeth in there, will work on them a bit more further through the project, onto the body next!

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 25-08-2009 , 04:16 PM
Wanted to see what he might look like with shaders on, so added an SSS, and a mia material X for the eyes to get a bit of a idea of what he could look like, this is in no way how the end result will look, just to help visualise and get ideas.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 25-08-2009 , 05:43 PM
Looks good!

... awaiting the first ZB passes.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 11 25-08-2009 , 06:32 PM
Subscriber
Clean looking base mesh you have there, and nice sculpt so far

# 12 26-08-2009 , 12:18 AM
Thanks Steve,

I want to get all the body done, and as much detail shape wise done in Maya first, so the first ZB pass will be a little while yet, but hopefully when I do eventually get it in there I'll have a nice base mesh for some sculpting.

Thanks also Marlonjohn,

I am trying to get the wires as clean as I can before going into ZBrush, so glad they are looking good!

Am thinking to give him an insect like back end, like a spider or scorpion. Have been looking at him and he's looking a bit Venom like, so would like to steer him away from that a bit and head in another slightly different direction.

Although Insect like back end isn't really that much of a different direction, but never mind...lol

Here's where I'm at with the body at the moment, am quite looking forward to getting the arms done!

Attached Images
# 13 26-08-2009 , 01:06 PM
Got a bit more done to the body this morning, going to start on the insect like back end now, and maybe add some long spider type legs onto him if I get time today.

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 26-08-2009 , 05:10 PM
Looks good man, but if i don't see some ZB soon I'm gonna sulk!

user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 15 26-08-2009 , 05:43 PM
The Nurb Herd
looks like quite a high subdivision level, do you have a wireframe?
looks like there is a bit too much geometry to be going into zbrush for sculpting practice! you may have shot yourself in the foot a bit user added image

(btw, looking at the head and what you have going on with the body i predict a boney skull shape user added image )

...also do you have any references?