Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 07-01-2018 , 05:28 AM

Converting nParticles

Hi hi! I'm new to the forum and kinda new to Maya, and I have this issue that's been irking me for the past two days.

I've been modeling this scene and I want to use nParticles to create a piled up snow effect on some surfaces (like a tree, a fence etc.).
I know how to go about doing it from watching a bunch of tutorials - duplicate the faces I want to particles to emit from, 0 gravity, random size, and emit.
I have the amount I want to be emitted and it's looking good as a bunch of particles, but I want to convert them to polygons so that the snow can be in my scene as an object on the tree/fence/blah blah blah.
However, when I select the particles (or the emitter, I've tried that too) from my outliner and go Modify>Convert>nParticles to Polygons it gives me an error saying "No nParticle nodes were selected" and doesn't do anything. So I went into my node editor and selected the particle node in there and tried to convert that, but I still get the same error. I've replicated it in numerous clean projects and all have the same result.

Am I doing something wrong? Can somebody help? It's driving me absolutely CRAZY.
If you need some images of my scene/outliner/whatever I'm happy to upload them, too.