Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 61 06-04-2010 , 01:00 AM
19 year Veteran
Hey Mike, great to see you post in the challenge forum again!

# 62 06-04-2010 , 01:51 PM
Hi All,

Not been here for a while. good timing too if there is a new challenge about to get underway.

I like the whole 2 word idea too.

Or how about - create a cartoon animal doin a day job/career. for example; an Elephant as a fireman (use of the nose for a hose) or a cheetah on an atheltics track in his running gear. or maybe a gorrila as a bouncer/doorman. that kinda thing. or maybe a mouse as a doorman just to add a bit of homour. lol

It kinda give you freedom of picking a animal and a job. lots of varity there. Cartoon it up too and give your creation some character!

Just a thought user added image

# 63 06-04-2010 , 03:10 PM
Subscriber
I like that idea aswell.

I think 2 months is a good limit as people do have lives as well as 3D.

The thing I noticed is a lot of the regular peeps don`t take part any more. Cant think the last time Arren joined in (me and him had a lot of fun with some of the older challenges)
But saying that the number of people on the site at any time has seem to have gone up again as it feels like it dropped for a while.

# 64 06-04-2010 , 03:35 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by s2-speedy

Or how about - create a cartoon animal doin a day job/career. for example; an Elephant as a fireman (use of the nose for a hose) or a cheetah on an atheltics track in his running gear. or maybe a gorrila as a bouncer/doorman. that kinda thing. or maybe a mouse as a doorman just to add a bit of homour. lol

No prizes for guessing what my feelings are about that idea.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!!! :attn:

# 65 06-04-2010 , 04:58 PM
EduSciVis-er
I know it's kinda counter-intuitive, but the way I see the challenges going:
Lots of people start out strong at the beginning, but with a long challenge time, they're often too ambitious, and as time goes on, things come up, computers blow up, interest gets lost, and as less people keep the challenge going, I think the remaining people get less interested.

With a shorter time, people can't be overly ambitious and I have a feeling that the initial enthusiasm will carry forward long enough to reach the home stretch.

# 66 06-04-2010 , 06:14 PM
The thin red line
I think 6 weeks would be as long as it should be no longer..........dave

# 67 06-04-2010 , 09:05 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by stwert

With a shorter time, people can't be overly ambitious...

watch me! user added image

I dunno about the animal idea, not my cup of tea. But as was mentioned earlier, it's going to be impossible to please everyone. But at least with the two word comp, you can twist it however you want. So, if you're dying to do a cartoon critter or something, I'm sure you can twist the words to work for you.

I think 1 month is a good average time tbh.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 68 08-04-2010 , 10:39 AM
Subscriber
secretly mayaniac is actually a sales rep for zbrush (we all know it, dude... give it up already! user added image)

i'm up for it.. i think

reminds me of dango and stwert's crash/control battle

i got respectful and poison with that generator (that thing will keep me entertained for a while)

also, an all out pure maya battle would be cool... then we'd have to play with the hypershade lots... or the paint brushes...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 69 08-04-2010 , 10:44 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
The 3D world forums have monthly challenges, the shorter time doesn't seem to help to be honest.

# 70 08-04-2010 , 03:40 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by Chirone
secretly mayaniac is actually a sales rep for zbrush (we all know it, dude... give it up already! user added image)

That's absurd!

... but if you're all looking for a copy, I can do you a bundle deal! user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 71 25-04-2010 , 06:02 AM
This thought came to mind and thought I'd share the idea. What about a modeling contest where you can only use primitive shapes. You can rotate, move and scale, but that's all. Competitors could model anything they can imagine..as long as it's constructed of primitives only and that the only tools used were rotate, scale, and move.

Exceptions:
Increasing or decreasing subdivision would be okay.
Adjusting thickness and radius would be ok..ie..pipe, torus.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 72 25-04-2010 , 07:45 AM
Subscriber

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 73 25-04-2010 , 04:30 PM
19 year Veteran
I think this next challenge is dead folks. The admins are just busy with other stuff right now to bother with setting it up, otherwise something would have happened by now.

I think a summer challenge is more likely.

# 74 25-04-2010 , 08:43 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, Perfecto, we already did that one! Haha, sorry you missed it. I don't see why we necessarily need admins to set up official competitions (unless you want prizes). Just head over to 1 on 1 Battles, or start an informal contest. You make the rules, the deadline and the topic, then just go for it.

# 75 25-04-2010 , 09:05 PM
Subscriber
Yer its working for us hehe