Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 26-01-2007 , 04:24 AM
Subscriber

another quick Q

is there a way to render only surface wires of your animations? I want to do that wire to shaded morph I often see in animations. thanks.

# 2 26-01-2007 , 04:42 AM
Subscriber
Uh-huh.

Do a uv snapshot just like normal, then stick the snapshot image into the colour channel of a new material. Bada boom, bada bing - one black object with white wireframes on it.

Don't ask me how cos I've got no idea yet, but you could use a "layered shader", using the normal texture as one of the layers and the uvsnapshot as the other layer. By using a ramp to controll which image was shown, you could morph from one image to the other, either from head to toe or the other way around, or the entire body simultaneously.

It'd just be a matter of which attribute you apply the ramp to.

Simon.

# 3 26-01-2007 , 04:45 AM
i wonder... if you attached it to the alpha as well would you get a strict wire without the actual geometry?

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 26-01-2007 , 04:59 AM
Subscriber
Ding-ding!! We've got a winner.

Yup, sure does. I've just been up for too long to have thought it through.

# 5 26-01-2007 , 05:07 AM
Subscriber
NeoStrider's post just reminded me of a trick I saw for displaying image planes.

If you map a black and white line drawing onto the transparency channel of a shader, you can then set the colour to be whatever you want, giving you floating, seethrough blueprints in any colour you choose.

In this image I just plugged the uv snapshot into the transparency channel and set the colour to red.

S.

Attached Images
# 6 26-01-2007 , 08:24 AM
Subscriber
ahh very clever guys. ill have to try it out. thanks

# 7 26-01-2007 , 11:21 AM
Subscriber
scary image simon LOL user added image

take it easy and life will be easy