Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 04-12-2011 , 04:57 AM
EduSciVis-er
Do you have all those ovals because you hit 2? If you hit 1 are they all in place? If so, then make sure they are all part of the same mesh. If not, mesh > combine, if so, then just select all the verts and go edit mesh > merge with a low tolerance in the channel box. Hope that works for you.

# 47 04-12-2011 , 05:02 AM
Subscriber
I hit the number 2 to smooth it out to see if the mesh was correct before taking it off and changing to Object Component mode to mirror over. Even when I go to Object Component mode all of the ploy are no longer attached to one another which is not what I want at all.

OMG what did I do wrong here, damm , please forgive my language. I am just pist with myself right now.

Last edited by PenPixels; 04-12-2011 at 05:05 AM.
# 48 04-12-2011 , 05:12 AM
Subscriber
OMG that worked, it worked it worked. Thanks man OMFREAKING CHRIST, man you save me a heart attack user added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added image

WOW I want to thank you a billion times over. Lesson learned OMG.user added image

Thanks all is back to normal now.user added image I need to note this. See while I am working here and trying to be really careful. I swear to you my fingers are push buttons from memory of Modo and it's tripping Maya up.

I will have my fingers above the friggin keys right and all of a sudden when I am not watching closely a finger drops on a friggin key that it's not suppose to,, LMAO wow it's like my head is playing tricks on me.

I almost want to tape certain fingers up nowuser added image

Man thanks I seriously mean this.user added image

Last edited by PenPixels; 04-12-2011 at 05:16 AM.
# 49 04-12-2011 , 05:19 AM
EduSciVis-er
No prob... everyone runs into weird problems, but you can almost always salvage things if you know the tricks.

# 50 04-12-2011 , 05:39 AM
Subscriber
Man Simply Maya Rocksuser added image

# 51 04-12-2011 , 06:54 AM
Lifetime Member
Yes, Yes it does user added image

- Jake
# 52 04-12-2011 , 09:06 PM
Subscriber
20 - Focal Viewing In Perspective user added image

I am not sure if this is the correct term or name for this. Ok so I am viewing my image in Perspective and top view.

The image in the Perspective view seems thinker than the image in my Top View. The Top View is correct right and because of the warped effect in Perspective it is slightly off right by default.user added image

So my question is how do we make sure that Maya displays a real world view of an object so that it's showing us it's real form and not a trickery of the eye due to it's Perspective View.user added image

Thanksuser added image

# 53 04-12-2011 , 09:17 PM
EduSciVis-er
You will want to use your orthographic views to avoid any perspective (top, front, side etc.). By default you can't tumble in orthographic views, however, you can turn this on by selecting the options for the tumble tool (view > camera tools > tumble tool > option box). Then unlock Orthographic views, and turn off stepped if you wish. Hope that helps you out.

# 54 04-12-2011 , 10:29 PM
Subscriber
Ok got it but will it mess up anything by doing this?

All I am after is to see the image in it's true form. And the reason why I am asking is that in the Perspective view it seem thicker to me but in the top view the section seem to small for some reason.

Thanks

# 55 04-12-2011 , 10:35 PM
The thin red line
Its the perspective camera...........dave

# 56 04-12-2011 , 11:17 PM
EduSciVis-er
No, it shouldn't mess anything up. Just lock it back when you're done. The perspective camera does incorporate perspective (you can change the degree of the effect by changing probably the focal length in the camera attributes).
However, you say "a real world object"... but real world objects do appear with perspective... orthographic views only exist in computers and on drafting paper.

# 57 06-12-2011 , 03:46 AM
Subscriber
21 - UV timeuser added image. Ok I hear things about Roadkill. Which of you that's used this and can tell me what are the ups or down about this plugin. Or should I just stick with UVing the regular way.

Thanksuser added imageuser added imageuser added image

# 58 06-12-2011 , 04:59 AM
Technical Director
I use RoadKill extensively, but it's not the only one out there. Headus is another, but it's expensive. Roadkill has it's quirks that you need to navigate but it works nicely. You should definetely learn Maya's UV tools, as you'll be using them when RoadKill messes up. Some things are faster without it, and you need to figure out what these are. But instead of asking us about the software; give it a go. We can tell you our preferences on everything; but it's up to you to figure out what YOUR preference is.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 59 07-12-2011 , 01:14 AM
Subscriber
NextDesign -

Thanks for your commentuser added image, However I am doing tons of trial and error with the UV tools as we speak, which is why I posted this question about UV. I thought to ask which is better to use so as I am going through getting my head around it and get stuck, just maybe someone out there had a trick or two or even a suggestion based on their experience using the two.

Please keep in mind that before I post I have already tried things out and it's not sticking with me and after that I post my questions.

Thanksuser added image

# 60 09-12-2011 , 09:35 AM
Subscriber
22- Radial Array- oK I am stumped on this one I did a little research and tried this and I can not seem to get this to work correctly.

I am creating a Mag for a car ok, I am doing one section of it using polygons. I want to repeat and sweep it around to create the other sections copied from it making a complet Mag Rim. Man sometimes I wish I could just grab other tools from other apps and pull them into this pipeline. But Oh well, back to trying to figure this out user added image

Thanks in Advanceuser added image

Ahhh Ha! Found It "Duplicate Special Command"user added imageuser added imageuser added image

Last edited by PenPixels; 09-12-2011 at 10:57 PM.