Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-11-2004 , 09:18 AM

CartoonDog Help!!

First off I have to say, Kurt, this is a great tutorial, thanks for all the effort.
Now that that's out of the way, I have a problem. All the boolean operations have worked just fine, but I'm on the leg, the first one you do on the video and when I try to to the boolean operation on it, the whole model dissapears. Both the body section and the leg. I made sure that the leg was going inside the body all the way, I even went inside and used the split polygon tool to make sure that whole faces were inside, and nothing is working. Just to make sure that the problem wasn't that not all of the let was going it I put it so just the foot was sticking out and everything still dissapeared. Can you please help?

Last edited by enispay2000; 26-11-2004 at 09:57 AM.
# 2 26-11-2004 , 03:22 PM
Hi try, going to edit polygons> normals? conform when you have both parts selected. Booleans can be a pain sometmes if thsi dont work post the MB file and I'll have a look at it.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 26-11-2004 , 08:33 PM

Here's the file

I tried the normals thing and it still didn't work so I'm gonna put up the maya file so you can probably help.

Attached Files
File Type: mb cartoondogpolygon.mb (102.4 KB, 234 views)
# 4 26-11-2004 , 10:21 PM
Ok bud... What it looks like was you had some faces that where 5 sided and for some reason was causing booleans not to work right. I cut the model in half and fixed the 5 side faces and it work right after that. I've attached 2 files one before I attached and after I attached the leg.

You should not have any trouble preforing the booleans now.

Kurt

Attached Files
File Type: zip kurtsdog.zip (102.2 KB, 214 views)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 26-11-2004 , 11:17 PM

eh?

I cant open the files that you gave me because they are apparently for Maya 6, and I have Maya5. I tried a couple of things and I can union a regular cube to the arm, but it doesn't work with the body, that tells me the prob is with the body of the dog. I looked all over it and I didn't see any 5 sided polygons at all, if possible could you make the file compatible with maya 5 and/or could you describe where the prob is? ....or you could even make some pics of it like highlighting where the prob is or something like that. I really apreciate you helping me by the way:p