Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-02-2013 , 12:25 PM

Motion Capture to new skeleton

Hey
I'm having issues transferring motion capture to my own skeleton.
What I've done is created a HumanIK skeleton in Maya 2013, set it up correctly and then imported the motion capture (https://www.mediafire.com/?wjorg9krhpkdl62). Then, I use the motion capture as source for my own skeleton to transfer it.
What happens is that the upper legs kind of works, everything else is effed up. The arms tend to stay in T-pose, and the feet are going kind of crazy. I've tried giving the motion captures skeleton different definitions since I know this can change things around, but there's no good match.
I've made sure joint orientations are correct, and I've tried with different motion captures, same thing there.

I tried creating an entirely new HumanIK, same thing. I have no idea where to go from here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

# 2 09-02-2013 , 05:05 PM
The problem is that with the skeleton you need to set it to a TPose as well on an initial frame. I usually nest this in the -10 range. Then you can characterize the motion capture and then apply it to the characterized control rig. Btw I tested this on this capture and a HIK example on my end before posting back. I generally do the same thing but with a custom rig and have the controllers driven.

Last edited by Chavfister; 10-02-2013 at 03:06 PM.