Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 10-10-2007 , 03:50 PM
Subscriber
well I've attempted to use maya's hair system and it doesn't really look all to good with the character, so I think I'm just going to model some hair for the character. Any idea how to make good looking hair with poly's? This character needs semi-long hair (somewhere around cheek to chin length).

# 32 10-10-2007 , 06:26 PM
Subscriber
Oh yeah, I never posted a picture after getting the joint setup all done.

user added image

I have all the blend shapes set up now.

I am still trying to figure out how I'm going to do the hair for this character. I have a hard time with reading tutorials because they don't explain it or I don't get to see where they are going in the menu's and so on. Any help would be appreciated.

I still have to do all the attachments and stuff, paint weights, bind or whatever, haven't gotten that far in the tutorial yet.

I also think I'm going to throw together a tongue real quick for the model, just so the mouth has a little movement inside when the character is talking.

# 33 10-10-2007 , 07:26 PM
If the image is blurry when rendered in Maxwell chances are that you haven't focused the camera on the right place. Also if your model is very small you get a lot of DOF, if so scale the whole scene or change the camera attributes.

# 34 10-10-2007 , 08:36 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
If the image is blurry when rendered in Maxwell chances are that you haven't focused the camera on the right place. Also if your model is very small you get a lot of DOF, if so scale the whole scene or change the camera attributes.

thank you, I was thinking about pm'ing you but thought I'd give it a chance on here for a little bit.

# 35 10-10-2007 , 09:56 PM
Subscriber
well I've spent just about all day learning things about hair and gave it a shot on my guy anyway, found something that worked alright with him. I did a hidef render of him in maya software, took almost 3 minutes to render.

Now I guess that I have it all together I can start finishing up the rigging.

user added image

# 36 11-10-2007 , 01:46 AM
Is that paint FX hair that you went for?

For hair like that I probably would loft some curves together to form a nurbs surface of the hair then create lots of curves form the isorpams (as if I was going to insert them but make curves instead) then assign the hair system to the curves. This way if you change thte nurbs surface it updates the hair via the history, and you can have the hair dynamics working too if you wanted.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 37 11-10-2007 , 07:08 AM
Subscriber
I followed the digital tutors maya hair training kit video, for the danger girl hair, and just styled it my own way and changed the colors. I made it off of a poly not a nurbs surface. I have to still go in and paint that part of the head the same color as the hair to hide the bald spots.

# 38 11-10-2007 , 10:55 AM
Subscriber
Gave him a little scruff on his face, like I always have going, only his looks better.
I also painted the top of the head to match the hair but I don't think it's finished yet.

Gave a render at 640x480 of him making the fart face, at least thats what I named the picture, haha
user added image

# 39 13-10-2007 , 10:29 AM
Subscriber
sorry I've been away from this, back to work so I'm not on vacation anymore, less time to get around to maya in the evenings. Plus on top of that I got a new dvd burner in on monday and when going to install it I knocked over my external hdd that had everything I have on it and now it's all gone. Luckily I saved my maya projects on both the F and the C drives so I had a backup of them or else I probably would have completely given up on computers at that moment.

Maybe later tonight or in a couple days I'll be in a better mood and feel like messing with maya. Losing all your files and information and back up copies of things you don't have anywhere but on the drive, sucks. It's like a complete shock. I've tried everything
Switching external cases
Installing in my computer as an internal drive
Bashing it more
Switching the switch on and off repeatedly
PC Inspector File Recovery

none of it worked

All this to put in a dvd burner to make back ups before something happened to the external hdd. But apparently this is my luck. Oh and I don't think I mentioned, I also get an error when installing the new dvd burner. "Drive 5 not found: Parallel ata, pata-1 (pri ide slave)"
Wonderful news, plus I have to fork out $2000 for wisdom teeth removal in 2 weeks.

Sorry had to vent. I will be back to this project, so close, yet so far away from completing.

Thanks for reading my ramble (if you read it). I'll try not to do it again (you're welcome in advance).

Edit: Crap the unfinished texture/uv layout (the multiple layer file,not the one on the shader in Maya) was on the drive I just lost. Along with all my WIP pictures that I was going to use on the webpage that I was going to make. DAMMIT

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 13-10-2007 at 10:32 AM.
# 40 13-10-2007 , 03:43 PM
ouch. sorry mate - that is not good news. Take a few deep breaths, get plastered, try not to punch any walls and then try to start over.... i feel your pain.

# 41 13-10-2007 , 05:04 PM
Subscriber
I think your taking it rather well Camel. I would of probably thrown my CRT Monitor out my window and flipped my desk upside down. sux when things just pile up like that.
and as far as the wisdom teeth? not only the cost but the experience wasn't so fun either. They couldn't put me to sleep cause I was so stressed out on the situation so they had me locked up like in those mad scientist movies while I was screaming in pain. Plus staying in bed and eating mashed potatos for a week wasn't so much fun either.

But best of luck to you man,

Dan

Last edited by danotronXX; 14-10-2007 at 12:30 AM.
# 42 13-10-2007 , 07:08 PM

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel

Wonderful news, plus I have to fork out $2000 for wisdom teeth removal in 2 weeks.

Whaaaat? It's a 10 minutes procedure. I actually removed two of mine a month ago, and I ate lunch 2 hours later. I did it for free (since I work at a dentist clinic) but I think it's like $70 here in Sweden.

# 43 13-10-2007 , 07:19 PM
AHHAh. Sorry to laugh but its so typical. It happened to me about 4 months ago except I had a power surge which meant the motherboard, sound card, HD and video card was f***ed. I had to buy a whole new computer ($1700 later).

I have a theory that computers HATE humans!!!

I also needed 2 teeth out which only cost me $150 AUD so I don't know why you have to pay that much.

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 44 14-10-2007 , 09:41 AM
Subscriber
america is not the best place to be if you don't have insurance. if I could explain it good I would. And I guess I need to have surgery in order to have the two bottom wisdom teeth out it's going to cost quite a bit. Plus the money for the prescription which also isn't cheep without insurance.

The hard drive is most likely fried, and I will be replacing it as soon as I get the money and I will try to start all over. It's hard to replace irreplaceable pictures, I guess thats the problem with digital.

Danotron I only type like I'm taking it well, you should have saw me when it happened
and arran, I took your advice and got plastered, it worked like usual. haha.

# 45 14-10-2007 , 07:45 PM
Man that sucks. Darn america. Lets just blam bush lol.

*gets assasinated by the bush government*

Makes me want to backup all my stuff.

On the subject of dental bills... I need another 2 teeth out :angery: dont you just hate teeth!!!

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!