Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-04-2004 , 11:09 PM
Subscriber

Game modelling

i know some of you are in the games industry and work as modellors, and thats what im trying to aim for but i just have 2 questions

1. to be a game modeller, do you have to be able to draw concept pics, model in low poly, UV map and paint textures? do you have to be able to do all 4 of them?

2. i know games use polys, but are game companies more likely to hire you if you can model in nurbs and subd's as well? just to show you have an expansive knowledge of modelling? or is that a waste of time?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 2 20-04-2004 , 11:34 PM
The Maya Mountain
1) For the most part, yes, you usually do have to model in low poly, UV map, and paint textures. Concepting is not as necessary, but definitely couldn't hurt.

2) Depends on the studio's needs, of course, but for the most part, polys are the priority.

# 3 21-04-2004 , 12:30 AM
Subscriber
ah i see, so im assuming concepts would be done for you in most studios, fair enough, but are the concepts usually drawk in orthographic or perspective? lol i know thats a stupid question but i find it impossibly hard to model something in bind pose from a picture thats in perspective user added image

- Simon

# 4 21-04-2004 , 01:22 AM
The Maya Mountain
depends on the studio. In my studio's case, the drawings are normally in perspective. Characters might be drawn with front and side.

# 5 21-04-2004 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber
alrighty. you reckon simplymaya will be releasing any videos on modelling from a pespective concept anytime soon? cos i think itd help a lot of people user added image

- Simon

# 6 21-04-2004 , 03:34 AM
The Maya Mountain
well, you can tackle getting a perspective concept a few ways, depending on how strict the studio is with adhering to the concepts. If they are strict about it, though, they'd go through the time to give you orthos.

So, normally, when you get a perspective concept, strict adhesion to it isn't necessarily the case, so you could concievably sketch out your own quick orthos and use the perspective for detail info.