Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 04-08-2006 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber

Textured racercar using Mental Metallic Paint

What do you think? I still have probs making this look photorealistic. Still look CG right now. I added a bit of dirt /dust on the car...but still don't look real enough.

I didn't model this. My friend Sergio V. modeled it and I textured it just to learn Mental Ray.

What do you think?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-08-2006 , 10:09 PM
well, first there is an odd dark area user added image get rid of that. Then, you have to think about sunlight- what is there??

1. Very strong point light. This should be faked using a spot light with 179.999 angle though, since that eliminates extra time for photon casting and whatnot that point lihgt should use. This light is a touch yellow, but very bright. Tweak light/photon settings accordingly

2. The ambient area light of the sky. I don't know how you would do this, I would use a skydome, but a solid sky blue colored JPG env map would work. This would be, i don't know, 1/4 of the overall light>? possibly 1/2?

Next point- the actual car shader. The metallic paint is obviously CG because it is so plastic. It seems that in Maya it is easy to get a nice looking plastic, much more challenging to make it a metal. I would turn specularity up, but a specular map in some areas for dust and whatnot would work. Also try to dust up the color map too user added image

That's all I could think about now, hope it helps user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live