Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-09-2005 , 04:22 PM

Ideas for CgTalk Challenge

Well I think I going to enter another challenge and model at night after work... Lots of changes in my life the last few years and have 2 ideas for the illusration the first one is a stetch i did a while back and never was able to turn it to 3d and the second is new with the same kind of spin. Little darker then what i usally do.

Let me know which one you like best..

Attached Images

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 2 18-09-2005 , 04:24 PM
And the second

Attached Thumbnails

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 3 18-09-2005 , 04:48 PM
Definately the First One!

# 4 19-09-2005 , 12:45 AM
I'd have to go with the second one because according to the challenge, your suuposed to make an iconic image. Something that people would remember in years to come.

And as cool as the first image is, I just think that it would make a kick ass scene, but not so much an iconic image.

I really like the second one because it looks as though your trying to figure yourself out and your life is a puzzle, and his life is missing some pieces; which I think would stand out more for me, but that's just my opinion. But yeah I def like the second one better.

Best of luck to you and i'll keep my eye on your entry.

# 5 19-09-2005 , 01:44 AM
Two great ideas..... But I really have to go with the first one. Here's why; the second pic is good and all but it's extremely straightfoward and obvious. Icons have the ability too invoke a feeling or idea without actually saying anything about it. Look at the golden arches for Mcdonalds for example, you know what you think of when you see them but they don't say ("Burgers, Fries, and Soda!) Now this is just my interpretation and all but too me, both images have a similar message. They seem too convey a feeling of loneliness, Searching, looking for an answer that may relieve all of your burdens........ Only difference is the first one does it without having to actually come out and say it, and that makes it more powerful.
In my opinion anyway. And that's all this post really is, my opinion.
Cheers,
Penguin

EDIT: Just realized that there are things written on the signs in the first pic. Kinda kills the validity of my opinion, but I'll keep the post up anyway. Maybe you should just change all the signs to say something arbitrary like "Home, or Somewhere"
Wait a minute who am I to tell another artist to change there work. Especially one who way more skilled than I am. Sorry.....:bow:

Last edited by penguin.steel; 19-09-2005 at 01:49 AM.
# 6 19-09-2005 , 01:52 PM
Thanks guys will be deciding on witch one soon.

# 7 19-09-2005 , 03:00 PM
I really like the first one, what about having the character going up a hill too, to give it an uphill struggle kinda feel?

# 8 19-09-2005 , 03:44 PM
I like the hill idea a lot might try that one...

# 9 19-09-2005 , 07:20 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Kurt

Just a thought here. With regards to it being iconic, why not go even simpler, model the head and shoulders only, but in a way that stands out obviously, what Im getting at is, take the mask of Darth Vader for example, that alone is all you need to see as its iconic. Is this making sense?

Cheers

Jay