Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 01-03-2005 , 01:25 AM

Texturing a plane: How to maintain image ratio?

(sorry i posted this by mistake in the modelling section before - apologies for the double posting...)

Hi everyone,

anyone know how to maintain a texture's (2d file image) ratio?

1. With a poly plane,
Texture>Planar Mapping>Keep Image Ratio - just doesn’t do it. It keeps assuming the aspect ratio of my poly plane (and filling up the entire plane).

2. With a Nurbs plane,
How do you fit the texture map onto the plane with correct Length-width ratio? (My map is very big). I tried mapping the Coverage attribute of the 2dTexturePlacement node to the file image. I can then see the proportion (ratio) and size of the map but how do you scale it down? The image is so big I can’t even grab the ends to scale! I just need it to fit on the plane with the correct ratio). Is the only way to do it to reduce the size of the texture? - in which case you lose resolution...

any help appreciated!

thanks
Lori

# 2 01-03-2005 , 02:32 AM
Subscriber

Re: Texturing a plane: How to maintain image ratio?

Originally posted by lori_hunter

anyone know how to maintain a texture's (2d file image) ratio?

1. With a poly plane,
Texture>Planar Mapping>Keep Image Ratio - just doesn’t do it. It keeps assuming the aspect ratio of my poly plane (and filling up the entire plane).

I haven't been able to find away to this either, so I just UV Map the plane and make sure the texture falls within the UVs. You can adjust the surface area a texture covers in the attribute editor, under the input node for the shader should be a placement node. The default cover is 1:1, so any texture tries to cover the entire surface. You can manually adjust the amount. up or down.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."