Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-07-2005 , 09:01 AM

3-way NURBS intersection

I'm trying to get 3 NURBS tubes to intersect nicely (i.e. smoothly, like a fork in a pipe), and I'm having a great deal of difficulty doing so. I feel like such a noob asking, but I didn't know where else to turn. I have a couple pics below to give you an idea of what I mean. Is it possible for a NURBS surface to have a 3 way intersection? I can picture how it should work in my head, but when I try to implement it, I get nothing but weird extrusions. I've tried all kinds of duplication/mirror/attach methods, but to no avail. I'm sure there's a way, I just don't know it. Thanks for any help.

user added image

# 2 25-07-2005 , 02:55 PM
Subscriber
Cut 'n patch!

I think that's the usual solution for shapes like this: to split them up into multiple discrete patches.

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!