Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 15-02-2008 , 06:48 PM

boot ini switch

Hi all,

Has anyone actually tried modifying the boot ini file in windows XP to up the max memory available from 2 to 3 gb?

If so does it make a difference in Maya?

Dave

# 2 16-02-2008 , 12:44 PM
That is possible? Long time sinced I've tweaked a Windows computer (Linux) but I think that it is likely that the amount memory allocated to apps and the kernel cannot be changed.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 3 16-02-2008 , 02:22 PM
Yup it is, I just did it and it seems to run better,

i found instructions on how to modify the boot.ini so that you can choose to start it with either the extra mem or normal, incase it screws everything, just wondering on others experiences.

# 4 16-02-2008 , 02:34 PM
Would it happen to be this?

/3gb

I don't think it will screw up anything, unless the kernel needs more than 1 GB of memory. Windows may be bloated, but it isn't that bloated is it? user added image

Anyways, un my case I don't think it would help. Unlike Linux, Windows XP seems to never use the RAM, it would leave it half full and go crazy on the swap file, which really slows down renders. You don't happen to have a magic solution for that would you? user added image

# 5 16-02-2008 , 08:12 PM
Ah.... no

# 6 25-02-2008 , 08:31 PM
If anyone is using xp pro without the boot.ini switch enabled i would highly recommend using it.

I have just upgraded from xp pro with the boot.ini enabled, to the bare bones vista business (in order to go to 64 bit) While Im waiting for my 64 bit dvd from microsoft I've been working in maya, and while vista opened maya quicker it does not run as well as xp once youre in.

# 7 25-02-2008 , 09:16 PM
any hints/links on how to do that?

Accept no substitutions.
# 8 25-02-2008 , 09:22 PM
Well from memory you are supposed to add this:

/3gb

Into the boot.ini file... no idea in what order, I forget... user added image

# 9 25-02-2008 , 11:42 PM
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Under Startup and Recovery, click the Settings button.
4. Under System Startup, click Edit to edit the BOOT.INI file.
5. Find the current boot entry, which typically looks like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

6. Copy this line and paste it at the end of the BOOT.INI file, and change it along these lines:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional 3GB Switch" /fastdetect /3GB

This lets you choose between a conventional boot entry and the /3GB boot entry. If something goes wrong when you use /3GB, you can always boot back into the original configuration.
7. Save and close BOOT.INI.
8. Click OK to close the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
9. Click Settings again, and in the Default operating systems list, click the new boot entry that has the /3GB switch. Then click OK.
10. Restart your computer to use the new profile.

so basically add the text listed on point 6 underneath what you already have, when you start up windows it will give you the option of starting with the 3gb switch or normal.