Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 07-05-2008 , 10:59 PM

Halp With Shadows

I've been experimenting with lights and Ive encountered some problems. Here is one:
How do I make a shadow?
Thanks in advance,
Benny

EDIT: I've enabled everything about shadows in the light's attributes and in the render settings...

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-05-2008 , 12:10 AM
if you've turned on shadows on the light and it's not working than you might need to look under the objects attribute editor and tell it to cast shadows (i forget under which section) - but it should be on by default. maybe post a pic of your light's attribute editor so we can see what's going on.

# 3 08-05-2008 , 01:49 AM
I haven't found a 'cast shadow' option...
What is Shadow map and Depth map shadow BTW? does it have anything to do with creating a simple shadow?

# 4 08-05-2008 , 02:56 AM
Subscriber
you need to enable depth map shadows to get shadows when rendering in maya software. so Yes, that has everything to do with shadows.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 5 08-05-2008 , 03:01 AM

Originally posted by alexanderH
you need to enable depth map shadows to get shadows when rendering in maya software. so Yes, that has everything to do with shadows.

Not if you switch raytracing on in the render settings and use raytraced shadows

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 08-05-2008 , 03:09 AM
do an f1 search on shadow maps and depth maps - it will give you a better explanation than i can.

as for the cast shadows option, just select the object, open up the attribute editor and look under render stats.

you may want to also try starting from scratch and create a new light. sometimes it's better to just start again, rather than try to work out what you're missing.

as i said, post up your lights attribute editor so we can take a look at your options.

# 7 08-05-2008 , 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
If you have raytraced shadows on your light and you're using the Maya software render you will have to go into your render settings and check Raytracing, if you're using mental ray its activated by default.

- Genny
# 8 08-05-2008 , 04:59 AM

Thanks guys

I managed to create a shadow at last...
I think it's because I turned on reytrasing on render options.
(I had no idea it had something to do with lighting... didn't glance to long at the name user added image )

# 9 08-05-2008 , 05:02 AM
Oo, I forgot this one...

Attached Thumbnails

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)

Last edited by BennyK; 10-05-2008 at 08:06 AM.