Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 07-12-2011 , 10:41 PM

Hopefully simple question regarding Fluids (Hard surface)

Hello all.

I have an issue that has been kicking me around for about 2 weeks. If you have seen the demo from Duncan regarding the mixing of differently colored fluids, you know what I'm trying to do.

I am trying to demonstrate one fluid being diluted by another fluid. The problem I am having is that my fluids are turning grey. Nice bright vivid colors at emission, but they get muddy and desaturated as time goes on, turning almost completely grey.

I think the issue has something to do with density. His fluid (before hard surface) was pretty tight and opaque. Mine is not.

Any help you can provide is really appreciated.

I attached my scene if it helps.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Files
File Type: zip fluidMix.zip (7.0 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by shamusoliver; 07-12-2011 at 10:54 PM.
# 2 08-12-2011 , 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
My dynamics knowledge is quite limited but I fiddled with this and increasing the "color diffusion" attribute seems to help. Its under the shape tab, in the color subsection of content details section.

- Genny
# 3 08-12-2011 , 03:59 PM
Hi Genny, thanks for your reply.
Are you using Maya 2011? I don't see the attributes you are talking about. I am using 2012.

# 4 08-12-2011 , 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Nope, using 2012.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 5 08-12-2011 , 05:42 PM
Aaah. I must have been drinking. For some reason your reference to the shape tab threw me off.

I like how it gets rid of the grey, but can I bring back some brightness, or just do that in post?

Thank you.