Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-09-2002 , 08:42 PM
Subscriber

New Athlons (2700+, 2800+) and Nvidia chipset (NV30)

Hi,

Some news for anyone upgrading any time soon....

The new Athlon XP 2700+ and 2800+ are due out mid October (probably back end october though seeing as the 2400+ and 2600+ still haven't appeared). They are not just a clock speed increase, but have a faster front side bus so should narrow the gap between the Athlon and latest top end P4's. If you are about to make an upgrade I'd seriously recommend hanging on to the end of next month because there's bound to be some price warring going on. I also think I read somewhere that both Athlon and P4 will be at the 3GHz mark at xmas time ("3000+" with the Athlon).

News link @ digitimes

Also some news on the next Nvidia chip. Sounds like it may be a while before its out and may not be a leap ahead of the 9700 either. I may have to reconsider my decision on not upgrading to an ATI9700. Does anyone know if Maya4 runs ok with a Radeon 9700 Pro under Windows 2000/XP ?

NV30

Cheers,
Pete.

Last edited by badbunny; 27-09-2002 at 09:31 PM.
# 2 28-09-2002 , 12:00 AM
SM Alumni
as far as i know the 2400+'s and 2600+'s arent expected to be out (over here at least) til end of october/early nov... AMD seem to be becoming the kings of vapourware/paper releases user added image

Maya on a 9700 is.. well it worked ok without crashing!I installed maya on a friends machine who has the card, but to be honest I couldnt really notice much difference compared to my ti4200 (though UT2k3 sure looked sweeter and played smoother user added image )
Personally I'm gonna hold out for the nv30 .. should be a sweet card

# 3 28-09-2002 , 12:11 AM
Subscriber
I've got a GF3 ti 500 at the mo, which to be honest is gorgeous at 1024x768 but not smooth enough at my desired resolution of 1280x1024, especially not with any AA or aniso !!!

Is the 9700 *really* smooth with all these features on at those high resolutions ? I run 3d benchmarks and look at the fps counters, but the counters don't seem to tie up to my perception of how smooth it should be. I mean, if something is running at 80fps, how come I can still perceive slight jerkiness (not chug, chug jerky obviously!!! user added image ). This is why I tend to run at 1024x768 still (without AA or aniso), where it really is always silky smooth, but I'd like to run higher and with AA and aniso. Is the 9700 really up to this ? For info, I mainly play MOHAA.

Oh, one more question, was it the Saphire 9700 ? If it was (ok, this makes it two questions user added image) how noisy was the fan ? My PSU and case fans are all really quiet and I don't want to spoil it with a whiny noisy gfx card fan !!!

Pete.

Last edited by badbunny; 28-09-2002 at 12:40 AM.
# 4 28-09-2002 , 01:29 AM
I remember reading somewhere that AMD is coming out with a new type of processor sometime next year. I can't remember what its called, but its supposed to annihilate any previous processors from any company. I think its supoosed to be almost 4 Ghz and be able to run at 64bits.

mahalo,

Myk

<a href="https://www.metic.net" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="_blank">www.metic.net</a><br />
# 5 28-09-2002 , 01:36 AM
Supreme Being
well thats somethin' to look out for... :p

# 6 28-09-2002 , 02:57 PM
SM Alumni
Here is what I have heard from my AMD, Intel, and various other reps.

The 2800XP+ (I think it was) is suppose to be the last of the XP+ chips. Along with the P4 2.8. Towards the end of the year, and into 2k3, they are going to be releasing some new design of chips. As far as I know they new Intel chips won't be called Pentiums. If you are planning on buying system, I would wait till Jan. Also becuase serial ATA HD's are on the way. We have seen this with the new Asus P4S8X and A7V8X, both having 2 serial ATA channels on them, altough there curently isn't any serial ATA HD's on the market. As for video cards, the new 9700 it decent and beats the GF4 for benchmark, but I mean the driver support is usuault ATI... CRAP. Don't forget that the GF4 is like 6 months old now. nVidia is also set to release a new GPU chipset in Q4, and no it won't be called the Geforce5. That is about what I know, so if it were up to me I would wait till Jan and see just what gets dropped on the market by the end of the year.

and BTW... I have 2 (two) AMD 2600XP's that my AMD rep sent me user added image

"You know you've done your job right when nobody notices"

"Don't quote me boy cause I ain't said sh*t"
# 7 28-09-2002 , 03:04 PM
Subscriber
im not sure how it works, but the older xps are all using the palimino core, where as i think the newer xp's use a different core which is manufactured to 13 microns instead of the paliminos 18.

Then new athlons coming (next year or whenever) are gonna be called clawhammers and apparently there gonna be amazing.

# 8 28-09-2002 , 11:13 PM
Subscriber
Government health warning: faster processors are bad for your health user added image

Last edited by badbunny; 28-09-2002 at 11:28 PM.
# 9 29-09-2002 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
For info there is a Seagate ATA drive due out soon - StorageReview.com

I keep hearing that the ATI display drivers are not great, but to be honest the Nvidia drivers aren't always that good. I've been looking around for any specific ATI Radeon 9700 driver issues but not found anything major.

On the other hand, some of the Nvidia gfx drivers have caused me no end of grief with bugs in their OpenGL drivers, hanging during install program, or that require you to manually delete driver file remnants and registry entries to remove all traces of a previous install before installing a new one.

Also has anybody got a Nvidia card that recognises their monitor maximum refresh rate correctly ? I look after machines with a mixture of Nvidia Geforce2 MX and GTS, Geforce3, Geforce3 ti 500, Geforce4 ti 4400, Quadro2 EX, and Quadro2 Pro. *None* of them Plug 'n Play detect the monitor they are connected to correctly, and I'm talking about a wide variety of modern main brand Sony, CTX, and Iiyama monitors here. All of the Matrox or ATI cards I have used have had no problems detecting the same monitors capabilities. The FAQ on the Nvidia site claims something along the lines of the monitors not being correct to some specification or other, but for some reason I don't buy that. user added image

I think my point here is that everyone seems to place a halo about the Nvidia drivers which I'm not sure they really deserve, and in the same vein, everyone disses the ATI drivers which I'm not sure they really deserve with their current cards and drivers.

I am really itching to buy a Radeon 9700 Pro, but sensible side of brain is going no..... don't do it... save money !!!! Somebody stop me... please !!!?!

Hey CyberLloyd, if one of them 2600's is going spare, I have a, er... friend, that could use it user added image

Last edited by badbunny; 29-09-2002 at 12:32 AM.