Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-09-2004 , 01:38 AM
Subscriber

Dup-ed Control problems

I've come across a problem with one of my controls on my rig. I have it as a FK control for the right shoulder. When I rotate the control, the control and the joint rotation are the inverse of the specified direction. Well, it only freaks out while rotating it in the Y axis.

I had mirrored the joints over. I also grouped all my left controls and duplicate/scaled -1, them in order to place them properly. I grabbed each of the controls out of that group as I began making the connections. When I began testing the all the controls I came across the above problem.

The weird part is that this control is the only one of the duplicated controls that gives any sort of problem. Has anyone else had a similar problem? and if so figured out how to fix it. Thanx.

~John

# 2 03-10-2004 , 09:38 AM
What you are describing sounds like a gimble lock from orientation. Not exactly a Gimble actually ... what ever...

When you mirred the joints, in the options did you have it set to behavior or to orientation? It is possibly the issue here.

# 3 03-10-2004 , 06:59 PM
After mirroring your joints did you freeze transformation on them and then orient them? This should be done before binding to clean up any bad rotations and zero out everything.
How are you connecting your controls to the joints, probably an orient constraint?
If so then another way (which is my prefered way) is to attach a control curve by parenting the shape node to the joint (for FK). To do this create a nurbs circle (or what ever control you want) and use
`parent -r -s curveShape Joint`, where curveShape is the shape node of your control and Joint is your joint name. This parents just the shape node and so it becomes the joint itself. When you select the curve control you are really selecting the joint itself.

Richard

----------------------------------------------
Richard Cheek
https://www.freelance-animation.com
----------------------------------------------
# 4 05-10-2004 , 07:06 AM
Subscriber
In response to your question ArtBlack, I used the default settings for pretty much everything except for the plane which I set to the proper one at the time.

No, I didn't freeze transfomations, Nimmel. Yeah, I tried using constraints at one point and also tested using direct connections, tho I believe they gave me similar results. I like the parenting idea since I've tried it before. Tho I usually group the control to itself then parent the group to the joint to get proper orientations and such.

The problem tho, at first, everything was set right, but then when I made the connections whether by constraint or direct connect, somehow wires got crossed and the Y rotated oppositely. So as a way to try and fix this I ended up hiding the original control for that side and breaking connections. then flipped the joint orientation axis so that the X axis, the axis pointing down the bone, was flipped around, facing the oppposite direction. After this I redupplicated the control from the left side, set the control back at the origin, froze transformations. Redid the parent constrain of the control's group node to the joint. I deleted the constraint, then connected the rotations of the joint to the control. Then deleted the original control since it became obsolete user added image. But so far it seems to work at the moment.

~John