Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 26-01-2005 , 09:56 PM
Subscriber

Srange glow

This is a bit a strange one (from my point of view). I got a shader from Highend 3d (am I alowed to say that?) and it has no glow anywere in it, but as soon as I make another shader which contains a glow any object assigned to the downloaded shader has a glow on it.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of a solution?

Cheers for your time user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 2 26-01-2005 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
Just a little update, when the object which is meant to have the glow is put on a layer and hidden the glow intesity on the obect which isn't meant to have glow goes down.

I hope i'm making sence, if not just say.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 3 27-01-2005 , 06:52 AM
Subscriber
Not possitive, but I'm suspect the highend shader has a "surface luminance" utility attached.

From the Maya help files (which explains it better than I can):

"Surface Luminance is a utility node that tells you the luminance (brightness) of a point on a surface as it is being rendered. This luminance takes into account all the light sources shining on the object, and the angle at which they shine on the object. It does not take into account the specular properties of the object itself, such as 'hotspots'.

You can use this node to make interesting shaders that change based on the light in the environment.

Example: Say you are modelling a windscreen of a car, made of a special glass that becomes darker (more opaque) in bright light. To do this, create a Surface Luminance node, and connect its output to all three input channels of a Reverse node. Then connect the output of the Reverse node to the Transparency attribute of a shader.

In the table below, important attributes have their names listed in bold in the description column."

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 27-01-2005 , 02:53 PM
Subscriber
Cheers for that, now I know what is causing it. Is there a way to stop it or do I have to make the shader myself from scratch?

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 5 27-01-2005 , 04:21 PM
Subscriber
If that is in fact the case, than delete or turn of the utility.

# 6 28-01-2005 , 04:42 PM
Subscriber
Well I have had a look and I can't see a Surface Luminance node, I have posted a screenshot of the graph network just incase I can't see it.

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 7 28-01-2005 , 07:10 PM
Subscriber
without being able to look at the attributes of the various nodes, I can't be certain. Based on your graph, I'd investigate the attributes on SHROOM_Input_01. Since it is taking input from the envChrome (which affects reflectivity) there may be an attribute in that node that produces some level of luminance or iridesance.

If you can, send me the shader for dissection. mhcannon@hawaii.rr.com

# 8 31-01-2005 , 12:32 PM
Subscriber
Here's the shader, I hope you find the problem. Cheers for all your help user added image

Attached Files
File Type: mb shader.mb (6.7 KB, 107 views)

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 9 01-02-2005 , 06:23 AM
Subscriber
Well, I haven't been able to replicate your problem, so I can't guarantee a solution. That said, according to the hypergraph both SHROOM_Input_01 and SHROOM_Input_02 have glow inputs on the final SHROOM shader node. Since SHROOM_Input_01 takes input from the envChrome1 node, which has refletivity, my guess would be that's the culprit. Try deleting the glow input line between SHROOM_Input_01 and SHROOM and see if the problem persists.

# 10 01-02-2005 , 10:08 AM
Subscriber
Cheers for the help, when I deleted both glow inputs and it had a little effect but it's still there. I think I will try and delete the chrome and replace it with something a little more simple.

Optical Minefield
My Blog