Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 07-08-2006 , 02:38 PM
Ok guys, I have a quick question about skinning/rigging this character in Maya. I had to rework some of the geometry around key joints, particular the fingers and elbows/knees. I've not done much in this department, and was wondering which would be the easiest/ fastest way to do this. I have been reading up on using wrap deformers (low res cages for weighting and then animating the hi res thru them), but that seems like a large amount of work. I'm not looking to make an animation soon, but I would like to pose the character in a few environments/different poses. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated before I restart the painting process.
Tia, vizion.

# 17 12-08-2006 , 09:09 PM

# 18 13-08-2006 , 02:37 AM
Subscriber
Vizion,

that's some great modelling you have there, you've totally captured the look of a 3-4 year old. It's not the Maya interface, what software are you using there?

The whole scene idea reminds me of Robert Rodriguez's story from 'Four Rooms', the last screen shot is a freeze frame of complete mayhem, worth a look if you've not seen it before.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 19 13-08-2006 , 06:45 AM
Subscriber
First, its nice modeling.

Second its either the perspective or its the modeling your whole hand including the fingers is out of proportion.

Third - its not Maya.

I thought at least the modeling had to be done in Maya.

Hey Mike what do you think?

# 20 13-08-2006 , 07:30 AM
Subscriber
This is what the guidelines say....

"4) Any 3D application is applicable to participate, but as is obvious, the simply sites' main focus apps at the moment are Maya, Max, Lightwave, and Zbrush. 2D applications such as Photoshop are fine as well, especially for textures and such.
"

If there was a problem I rekon it would have been noted. I was just wondering what app it was, it has a nice looking interface.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 21 13-08-2006 , 07:39 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Well I am currently using an app called Modo, by Luxology. I have recently started to polymodel again, after a long break, and found this app to be much more responsive during my workflow then maya- (i don't want anyone to get the wrong impression as maya has a very good tool set for polymodelling, this is just a faster/more intuitive app in that respect). However that's about all Modo can do, well that and render fairly nice without too much hassle. But for dynamics, rigging, animation, and just about anything else, Maya is the main app. user added image

# 22 14-08-2006 , 03:18 PM
Subscriber
Hey if Mikey likey, than I likeyuser added image

# 23 14-08-2006 , 04:05 PM
The Maya Mountain
yep, any app is fine.

Excellent work!

# 24 16-08-2006 , 07:10 AM
Subscriber
Then I likeyuser added image

Keep up the good work mate:attn:

Cheers

# 25 22-08-2006 , 02:29 PM
Ok, texturing nearly done for the boy, had some issues with the bump and color maps being too large and Maya wouldn't render them, so I had to scale down everything. Eyelashes, brows, hair and nails left, almost done with the environment too (texturing that next).

https://actechcore.tripod.com/JAboy-textr2.txt

Last edited by vizion; 22-08-2006 at 02:32 PM.
# 26 22-08-2006 , 02:50 PM
good work vizion - this is looking very nice. user added image

I just might make the colours on his t-shirt a bit brighter as they are looking a little faded, but that's just my opinion.

Looking forward to seeing the environment.

# 27 22-08-2006 , 03:05 PM
Subscriber
The only thing I would say is that the skin is looking a little too shiny, like plastic.

Only a week left. Better hurry.:p

# 28 28-08-2006 , 12:31 PM
just seen your updates vizion and its looking very good indeed - you've definately caught the young boy look in the head!

probably the angle but the fingers look a little long for his size.

it'll be great to see this scene all in place user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 29 30-08-2006 , 10:51 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys. I have changed a few things around, and also decided to scrap the kid pirate idea, ( seemed difficult to present it effectively). However the main theme remains, "Disciplinary dilemma" only now the little bugger is smoking and drinking. =)
Here's an update. I'm having some issues with MR, particularly the eyes and fingers/toes- when I render them I keep getting artifacts( check the head pic to see what I mean). So for now, maya default renderer will have to do.

https://actechcore.tripod.com/MRtestArtifacts.txt

https://actechcore.tripod.com/roomtest-radshadow.txt

# 30 30-08-2006 , 11:39 AM
Subscriber
YArrrrrrrrrr, it be a great shame about the loss of the pirates......

I love the new idea though, the kids pose and attitude are great! On the crit front, the reflections on the floor look a little odd, it's almost as though the floor is at a slant. Also the bed doesn't seem to be casting a reflection.

Small issues in an otherwise great picture. Sorry I can't help with the mentalray problem.

Good luck,

Mat.