Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-03-2003 , 12:19 AM

Finding Sponsors

Okay... I haven't really seen a thread like this in the forum so I'll start one. Does anyone here know of anyway to get 3D and other graphics/computer companies out there to sponsor me? I'm mostly a hobbyist but I can't see anything wrong with asking cos. for their sponsorship dollar anyway. Any ideas? How does it work? Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 2 09-03-2003 , 12:21 AM
One more thing... I'm a yank but do you wonderful UK folk ever give endowments to us poor chaps here in the States? user added image Just wondering. user added image

Russell Bolding
# 3 09-03-2003 , 12:21 AM
That's "yank" with a capital "Y".. not... well, you know. user added image

Russell Bolding
# 4 09-03-2003 , 01:31 AM
Kevin
well if its to sponser a site?

then generally you can just bug everybody and show then your site and tell them what you hope to give to them in return of sponser (hosting fees) etc...

But be carefull what you sign! - As the sponser (persons) may want you to have pop ups all over your site, advertising in newsletters, massive banners down the left / right / on top / middle of you nice web site.

But if you become big enough without them then you soon have them offering you deals.

# 5 09-03-2003 , 02:37 AM
So I guess the real question now would be... how much do I charge, who do I contact and what kinds of sites do I solicit/inquire? Right now, my main goal is to raise appr. $2500-2700 for the computer I need to start out with then work from there. user added image Power Mac G4 dual processor or cust. built P4 with HT technology would be great! I've decided to go with Maya Complete as I don't really need Cloth, Fur and Live in Maya right now - software-wise to begin with. Thanks Kevin! I appreciate your help! user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 6 09-03-2003 , 03:08 AM
umm.. do you mean that you want to charge people or companies to put a banner on your website? If so, make sure you have a site that attracts tons of people per day!

# 7 09-03-2003 , 04:59 AM
Subscriber
Yo, russell I also wanted to do what you were doing user added image. Just one thing, you have to realise how MANY people there are out there now adays. Unless your super good, its going to be hard to make money off of advertising in any way. No one will "sponser" you.. and im sure of that. Just, banner ads used to give you money, but now adays.. its really stupid.. seeing that there are no banner ads out there that will make you ANY money. I remember just 4 years ago when i was starting webdesign.. and mcdonalds JUST got a website... and there were commercials on the web saying.... do you want a website for your company... etc. That was the time to get into it all and get your name known. If your trying to make money.. i suggest you go around, find some great companies with BAD websites, and confront them saying you can make their website SO much better.... thats how i get money off my sites user added image. GTG tho.. cya later.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 8 09-03-2003 , 11:25 AM
So in other words, you're saying I'm behind the times.. In the words of Doc Brown... Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! user added image Oh well, I guess I need a whiz bang idea... or maybe just a sugar mama? user added image UGH! I'll never get this money! I work in the retail field but I'm gonna contact a lady at a place in town that just happens to be a Macintosh sales and repair place and they're hiring. Doesn't mean I'll get the job or make much money or even get a free computer user added image but it's worth a shot. At 33 years old, it gets kinda sad and frustrating chasing your dream without any money and trying to beg and plead from total strangers. Oh well. Hey guys and gals, thanks for your help, as always. I'd be lost without you all! user added image BTW, dbirider, great website! user added image

Your pal always,
Russell

Russell Bolding
# 9 09-03-2003 , 11:49 AM
Subscriber
whats live for maya ?
--
hope ya get some sponsers - i might try that ill make ads for them they can buy me maya user added image

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 10 09-03-2003 , 02:56 PM
Live is in 4.5 Unlimited. I think it's somthing to do with camera tracking in real video footage. [anyone, correct me if i'm wrong]

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 11 09-03-2003 , 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Russell
BTW, dbirider, great website! user added image

wow! thanks for noticing. most people just take a great site like that for granted... and dont even think about how i spent weeks and weeks putting it together! user added image user added image user added image

# 12 10-03-2003 , 01:59 AM

Live is in 4.5 Unlimited. I think it's somthing to do with camera tracking in real video footage. [anyone, correct me if i'm wrong]

You're right it's used to track camera data from live footage (normally little crosses or ping pong balls) in scenes. Basically they allow you to see how the camera is moving so you can match your virtual camera up.

It's also in Maya 4.0 unlimited cause we have it at uni

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 13 10-03-2003 , 03:02 AM
You said "get <so and so> to sponsor me" and I thought you meant kind of like auto companies putting up money to have racecar drivers sew little patches on their outfits...

Only if you were in a lot of EPKs(*) would this be viable, I think...

-- Mark

(*) movie studio lingo: Electronic Press Kit

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com
# 14 10-03-2003 , 03:17 AM
If your just looking for traffic to your site, you could sign up with some kinda banner exchange program. where you exchange banners with outher ppl. you show their banner on your site and then they show yours on their site. Just do a search for banner exchange you should find something.

Hope this helps some. user added image

- Matt
# 15 10-03-2003 , 12:44 PM
Kevin
just out of interest what are you offering from your site / services?