Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 23-05-2012 , 06:21 AM
Subscriber

Edit Mesh - Bevel Problem

Hi Guys

I have been trying to add a bevel to the edges of a table I'm creating, I did a picture frame in the same file, and it bevelled just fine, however the table wont bevel - the polygon count seems to go up after hitting apply, but the extra edges/verts/faces don't appear on the table. Doesn't matter what setting I put on the width of the bevel, from 0.1 to 100 it just wont show up. user added image The picture frame bevelled fine at about 0.25.

What could be causing this problem??

Thanks
Emms user added image

Emms
# 2 23-05-2012 , 10:16 AM
The thin red line
Could you show a picture of your mesh with edges............dave

# 3 23-05-2012 , 12:19 PM
Subscriber
user added image

Hi Dave

As you can see in the picture, the picture frame has the bevelling on it (It is a separate mesh to the table, I just moved it over so it could be seen in the screen shot. I'm not sure if the indentations on the table leg might have something to do with the bevel problem??

https://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=TablePic.jpg <--- just in case the above link doesnt work.

Thanks
Emms.

Emms
# 4 23-05-2012 , 12:27 PM
The thin red line
Try a clean up mesh or try delete the top poly then append another poly in its place............dave

# 5 23-05-2012 , 12:33 PM
Subscriber

Try a clean up mesh or try delete the top poly then append another poly in its place............dave

Hmmm tried all that, didn't seem to make any difference. I might try modelling it again.

Thanks for the help though user added image

Emms
# 6 23-05-2012 , 03:56 PM
It's most likely that you have some co-resident edges that are preventing the bevel. Clean mesh and check all the boxes to remove laminar faces, zero-length edges and such. Also, delete non-manifold geometry as that will produce unpredictable bevel results as well. The fact that your poly count went up now insures you have bad geo like zero area faces and zero length edges.

Also, select all the verts and press delete to kill any interior valance-2 verts.

There has to be room for the bevel to happen if you have any spots on what you are trying to bevel with sero length edge then you get a zero offset bevel and just create bad geo.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675