Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-04-2010 , 01:20 AM
Lifetime Member

Boolean TQ mystery

Hi guys,

I use the boolean tool quite a bit now BUT I have found it to be very sensitive to certain parameters of which I have Googled lots and learnt a bit.

I have attached the link to my vid, I am confused as to why a boolean will work without weird things on a split face but not a single face??? Any answers would be appreciated.

cheers bullet

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4090628/NVEExport.wmv

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 24-04-2010 , 09:06 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
I think you should have pressed enter when you finished your first cut then restarted the tool on your next cut?...........dave

# 3 24-04-2010 , 09:11 PM
you should NEVER do a boolean difference on a face. Always do it on an edge. When you cut a hole in that top face, there were no edges to anchor the hole so the geo is messed up. First put an edge across that top face, then do a boolean. You should be fine then.

Good luck m8

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 25-04-2010 , 01:56 AM
Lifetime Member
That didnt work Dave.

Yeh Perfecto I found that out by accident. If you put a poly (anywhere) on the face and boolean on top of it the thing works. So what I do now is just that and BEFORE I delete the temp poly I then split all I need then get rid of the temp one. Software has a way of making life interesting!!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes