Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-02-2012 , 07:01 PM

Mac user needing help with some controll issues?

Ello,

So, in school im on a pc all day and em used to those controls. at home, im a mac user.
my issue is due to the mouse. the middle scroll button, when you hold it down on a PC you can well move around the area and makes a lot easier molding.
on my mac, i have a PC mouse, but i can't do this in maya on my mac. when i hold down the middle mouse button, it zooms in or out.
what do i do? get a new mouse?
help!
thanks!
-
sean

# 2 17-02-2012 , 08:05 PM
EduSciVis-er
Do you have a regular mac mouse? If so, I would recommend getting a better one for other reasons, just cause it's not a great mouse. If it's a third party mouse, see if you have options in your control panel for that mouse (in the Other category).

# 3 18-02-2012 , 04:48 AM
Lifetime Member
I agree with stwert. If you have the new touch mouse at home, throw it out and get a standard 3 button mouse. If you are using the previous generation mouse, check the mouse settings and make sure the middle mouse button is set it "Button 3". Also make sure you have "Three button" and "Mouse scroll wheel" enabled the Maya settings. I'm using a standard 3 button USB mouse from Microsoft on my Mac.

# 4 18-02-2012 , 10:36 PM
Subscriber

I agree with stwert. If you have the new touch mouse at home, throw it out and get a standard 3 button mouse.

that's just silly. The magic mouse goes great with the mac, you can do all sorts of things with it other than middle mouse click. It's less functional than the trackpad though. (Though I guess I just got used to it and I don't use a Mac for graphic work for the whole mouse lacking proper functions thing like you mention)

when you say 'zoom in' do you mean the entire screen zooms in? I saw that happen on a Mac once. I middle clicked and things didn't happen as expected. My solution was to find the command that does the panning, assign a hot key, and also throw it on the shelf. I think the button to turn your mouse to pan mode is on the default set of shelves in General

I just plugged in my 5 button Logitech mouse into one of my macs and it automatically assigned the middle button to show dashboard and back button to show expose. I don't have Maya on it so I can't tell if it was working properly, but I do have Unity on it which uses the same control scheme and it was fine. I didn't see anything about zooming in the system preferences. Maybe it's related to the mouse? Try a different one.

On a side note: I've noticed that designers without pens like to reassign the middle mouse to something stupid like expose. I'll never understand some people...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D