Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 61 27-04-2003 , 02:04 PM

# 62 27-04-2003 , 04:33 PM
Subscriber
WHOA! Whats that huge pic? Is that gonna be used in the game? Didn't see it last time i was here, and you didn't say anything about it. Also you might wanna resize it, so it its a lil easier on the 56k guys.

Cool about the AVIs, I don't think they support transparency so we'll stick with TGA for like a missle animation or somethin= ( The reason i'm not working on the projectiles just yet, is i'd like to see what other people come up with. Nuthing really comes to mind, and sprites like the ones you posted seem easy enough to leave to the newbs that would still like to help.

Heres the CURRENT psd. This will be updated, and i will post a new message about it, but to keep things clean it will be here. Just so you can start working out the problems and such. Maybe give me some design feedback from you're POV (point of view), if necessary.

BTW as of right now you've all seen whats in this PSD on the last few posts i made.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 27-04-2003 at 04:45 PM.
# 63 27-04-2003 , 05:26 PM
Why, that would be Maya, with Photoshop editing, and VideoMatch compositing. Why do you ask?

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 64 28-04-2003 , 02:00 AM

Originally posted by Ultragames
Why, that would be Maya, with Photoshop editing, and VideoMatch compositing. Why do you ask?

It just looks really cool user added image

I've got access to Maya (LE??) and I've had a go at trying to draw the logo thing which I made

How do you animate stuff like that? Is it really difficult?

# 65 28-04-2003 , 12:34 PM
Thought I'd post this

user added image
user added image

This is the first thing I've ever made in Maya, so I'm pretty happy :banana:

user added image

There's a lot of problems with it and I've found it quite frustrating not knowing how to do things efficiently/properly, but I've learnt HEAPS.

Last edited by PappaSmurf; 28-04-2003 at 12:36 PM.
# 66 28-04-2003 , 12:40 PM
user added image

Last edited by PappaSmurf; 28-04-2003 at 12:58 PM.
# 67 28-04-2003 , 01:54 PM
Subscriber
NIcely done pappasmurf user added image, its coming along nicely. Sorry about not getting anything for this game.. because i have been working on pony and I's battle. One thing i have to ask you though, the game your coding will actually export 3d models, or will you use screenshots from the model and code those... if so which format can we send it to you in.. like, we are going to need an exporter if its for a 3d game.. and were going to need to know what quality of bitmap you want us to make it. Its lookin great, cant wait to see a demo if you get one. As for the HUD, i can make some pretty technical lookin stuff in photoshop.. maybe draw me out a outline, or if you want i can design the hud from the example you gave a while ago. Can the hud be graphical as well? Thanks.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 68 28-04-2003 , 08:51 PM
Subscriber
PAPA if you'd like i can teach you the ONLY mel i know. Learned this from Mike M's Tornado Tut. If you'd like the logo to JUST ROTATE (or rotated in addition to other motion, you can tell it to rotate along any access by rotations per frame i think. Here is the code

OBJECTNAME.rotateY = frame* 10

Replace object name with the object's name, and play with the number at the end until you get the right speed. This work in any direction, but logo's often spin around "Y" axis

I think i will do some cool sprites(is a sprite a partice that uses an Image file for its color?) for you're weapons. I'll just make a bunch and you can pick. They don't take long. Hopefully Twisted will post all the stuff he does right when he does so we don't have tommany repeats *nudge nudge*.

)v( its a 2d game. He wants to be using 3d images for it. He has photoshop so basically ANY format you want. Anything with transparency should be in TGA or PSD for convinience so we don't have to use to images per(RGB, and Alpha).

Can the HUD be graphical? um thats a weird question, and maybe i'm misunderstanding but thats all he needs. Some neato images for the HUD, and he can take care of all the coding. I tried and i Lose. But if you like you could download ny PSD for the HUD (located a few posts back) and just work from there. He said it doesn't matter the layout because he can tweak all of that. He seems to be a QUITE impressive coder: He just finished the block of code for reading AVIs!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
# 69 29-04-2003 , 01:16 AM
Subscriber
another few quick ones. These are inspired be you're mooonpod post. Can change anything, so comments and crits, and suggestions.

<---------edit just compressing my posts for you're convienience--------->

Last edited by Vectorman; 29-04-2003 at 06:49 AM.
# 70 29-04-2003 , 01:42 AM
Subscriber
Hey vectorman, thats really nice, cool effect user added image

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 71 29-04-2003 , 01:47 AM
Subscriber
Very simple to do, you know how right M ? Just a little airbrushing, playing with selection, a few layers, and airbrush pressure. BTW are you gonna make the hud screens? I know you're busy, but i know you'd make them better. Mine looks okay but not very robotic.

Last edited by Vectorman; 29-04-2003 at 02:02 AM.
# 72 29-04-2003 , 06:39 AM
Hey guys user added image

thanks Vectorman, I'll put the images into the game now and see how they come out

Thanks for the code tip, I'll give it a try, I reckon I could make a nice animation with just what you've told me if I can just figure this program out, Maya is so complicated and hard to use when you are new to it! user added image so much depth, it's great user added image

The word "sprite" could have other meanings (I'd say probably does) but when refering to 2D games it's just a "moving bitmap", pretty much

user added image

Downloading the PSD zip now

# 73 29-04-2003 , 06:44 AM
Subscriber
hey i've been learning ALOT in the moth or so i've had maya so any questions are cool. I'd be happy to help demistify it. I remeber the first time i loaded it up, i'd used Lightwave, bryce, and others and i coudln't do ANYTHING without tutorials. So consider us (the guys at simplymaya) you're personalized tut.

# 74 29-04-2003 , 06:57 AM
Subscriber
How much control do you have over rotation? If the answer is alot, then here's the laser, also, like i said EVERYTHING i've done can be animated, rotated and colorized.

# 75 29-04-2003 , 07:02 AM
wow, looking nice user added image

here's a screenshot

user added image

I haven't yet finished the code for the projectiles, which is why they are comming out of the side of the ship :p (needs tweaking), and also why they are so close together (rate of fire is not controlled yet)

I shot one of the previous images I was using, as you can see *cough* it looks *crap*, thanks guys :banana:

I'll try out the Mel stuff you told me now vectorman, that would be *very* cool if I can get stuff moving :banana:

Cheers vectorman, M, and everyone
user added image