Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-11-2003 , 12:28 AM
Subscriber

Cannot split Poly?

Yes - - It seems all along this model I have been swapping sides when splitting poly's? - Hmmm - Is this wrong? It sure looks like it because I cannot split these 2...?
#
Start again?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 28-11-2003 , 12:33 AM
Subscriber
I would check and make sure you have no extra faces, edges or vertices sitting on top of each other.

# 3 28-11-2003 , 07:07 AM
Subscriber
yeah.. maybe you could post a screen cap with the faces displayed ? there should be a face dot right in the middle of that triangle.. if its not right there thin that means that polys edges are not really right there .. they probably extend down to the bottom there...

starting over is a good idea sometimes.. but its best to make sure what’s going on first, that way the problem doesn’t come up agin.

# 4 28-11-2003 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
Oh darn
So sorry Could an ADMIN please move this thread over to my WIP "Noob tries to make car" thread please? I wondered where it had disappeared to.. ?

Thanks mrmacca and Pony - I still don't know the 'basics' due to learning online, but have learned so much since joining SMaya and thought it was about time I tried modelling something using an Image Plane...

So is there a basic rule or anything when say splitting or extruding, so that I don't get into this mess?
One thing I have noticed on this project, when splitting poly's at the front - I went up a couple of 'squares' splitting Ok - but then the next 'square' i had to split the opposite side before I split the adjacent (To my previous splits) edge. ??
Seems to me like I'm maybe doing something very BASIC wrong here? I'm wondering if there is a Rule of thumb sorta thing to stop me messing up.

Cheers for help - keep it coming in bucketloads please.
I reckon I need it at the moment, i'm just sorta guessing here.

# 5 29-11-2003 , 12:44 AM
Subscriber
Hi, Ok converted to faces, but I wonder am I supposed to split in a certain direction? or maybe I extruded wrong? (See last post)
I keep thinking... I must have done something different with those faces/edges etc that split differently - but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.???

user added image but user added image

Regards Scraggy (The old Dude)

Oh noooo - I get worse, I forgot to post piccy. Sorry Mr Admin ..

Scraggy

Last edited by Scraggy_dog; 29-11-2003 at 12:47 AM.
# 6 29-11-2003 , 12:50 AM
Subscriber
Here's one I wrecked earlier.... Can you tell me what I done wrong please... Cheers Scraggy ... user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 29-11-2003 , 07:57 PM
Try deleting the face, moving the surrounding verts or delete the edges around the square where you cannot split (you can ctrl+z to undo user added image). If that doesn't work try working with the split poly tool from the inside out, so from the inside of the care. user added image I don't have any other idea :\.

# 8 29-11-2003 , 08:23 PM
Subscriber
If you like I could figer out the problem if you wouldn't mind emailing me the file.. or posting it.

# 9 29-11-2003 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber
I will do that, thanks Pony. - But any of you know why I got into this mess? like is there some rule I should follow, but am not doing? - being self/web taught I have missed very basic stuff before.. So I keep wondering if i'm doing a no-no..

Cheers dirak - That will be ok because all the inside faces have to be deleted anyway, so I will have a go at that after getting rid of all those other faces.

Thanks a lot guy's Scraggy