Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 07-04-2004 , 03:49 AM
Lifetime Member
thanks Mike ..yeah you are right about the textures, they seem to be a little plain to me too ......still working on them though so hopefully I can improve the look by the end of the month.
As for the lighting ...there isn't any yet ..hehe just the default with a couple of extra to help, so that will imporve toward the end.
Thanks again it's always great to get feedback from someone who knows whats what so I can improve.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 47 09-04-2004 , 02:12 AM
Lifetime Member
update ..

Attached Thumbnails
# 48 09-04-2004 , 08:13 PM
Lifetime Member
Update.. the buildings are almost done, just a few tweaks here and there and a couple of more textures to add.

Attached Thumbnails
# 49 14-04-2004 , 05:28 AM
Simply Maya OG
Looks too clean for me. If it were me, Id add some diffuse to the textures. Just my pref tho. Other than that, I like. user added image

- Hybrid
# 50 14-04-2004 , 06:12 AM
Lifetime Member
thx I-iybrid ...I am still strying to sort this texture thing out...I haven't had too much imput so I am have to search the web and read a lot...hopefully I can make the scene a little more interesting and dramatic by the end..we will see, but this has been a really good learning experience all the same if not a little frustrating too user added image

All said and done this is my first ever effort so I have to be happy with it as a first go.

# 51 14-04-2004 , 08:06 AM
Subscriber
Nice scene.

Why not add a bit of fog and drop the lighting to resemble early morning?

# 52 14-04-2004 , 09:45 AM
Lifetime Member
thanks Garry ....yes that is one of the possibilities I am playing with...lighting is proving to be harder than texturing to me ....lol

# 53 14-04-2004 , 11:33 AM
Subscriber
I have found the Spotlight is the best one to play with, lots of possibilities.
I generally use three point lighting.

I.E.
1. One overhead or main direction. (Shadows turned on)
2. One Backlight to soften shadowed edges (Can be coloured to match Object - using low Intensity - No Shadows)
3. One Parallel to object to be lit (Low Intensity - No Shadows)

You can map an image to the spotlight to give interesting effects and shadows. (Simulate a cloud casting a shadow etc)

The Best thing to do is to select the Light and use
---- Panels/Look Through Selected ---
to see what objects are iluminated by it. You can then control your lighting a lot more effectivley.

I hope this helps user added image

# 54 14-04-2004 , 11:52 AM
Lifetime Member
thankyou Gary ... I really appreciate the tips . I will certainly be playing with lights for a few days to try and get some kind of atmosphere user added image

# 55 14-04-2004 , 06:32 PM
Lifetime Member
update... I may go with this sort of scene, I still have trees and a few things to add.

Attached Thumbnails
# 56 14-04-2004 , 09:16 PM
To me, the mountains in the back look kinda blank/dull, I would add some stuff there too.

How did you do the fog?

I am in 10th grade, sophomore in high school, but if you don't take me serious, I'll make you.
# 57 15-04-2004 , 04:01 AM
just put some fog around the mountains.

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 58 15-04-2004 , 04:19 AM
Lifetime Member
Jack for the fog I turned on Environment Fog in Render Globals and set a max height and played around with settings to get colour, spread density ect .
NightPhantom thanks for the tip..I will try and get some fog round the mountains too , although for now I can't envision where to place it ( top , middle ,bottom or a couple of whisps here and there ?).

# 59 16-04-2004 , 03:42 PM
Coming on nicely!! For a "newbie" this is some VERY impressive work!!!! Keep it up!!

-------------------------------------------
# 60 19-04-2004 , 10:03 AM
Lifetime Member
I have struggled with all sorts of rendering issues for about 4 days..lol
This is where I am atand I am thinking that this is pretty much done.

Attached Thumbnails