Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 15-04-2003 , 07:09 AM

Realism - Forum_snowboarder33 **newbie**

Ya, i know we don't put newbie on it, but i am am still learning. I am trying to make an audi TT. I have a couple shots. Not sure if this counts in the comp. If it doesn't, just lock or delete this please. I basicly started off with 4 image planes, and went at it. BTW, i am 16, and still going to school, so im not sure if i can get this done, but i will try.

-- Why is it snowing rain --
AIM: SnowboarderCF
# 2 15-04-2003 , 07:10 AM
Another Pic of my progress

# 3 15-04-2003 , 07:12 AM
This is a render of the front end after skinning the wireframe. Not close to being done, but it's a start.

# 4 15-04-2003 , 07:15 AM
Here is the back end, rendered at the same time as the front end. Still need to fix the seems on the car, but it is 12:00 and i have to go to school tomorrow.

# 5 15-04-2003 , 02:43 PM
Subscriber
hey snowboarder user added image. Just letting you know anyone can join user added image. Your car is coming along really nicely! I dont understand how you can call yourself a noobie and model something that smooth and just like your refrence user added image. Anyways, this is really nice stuff. Keep up the work and work on some of those dings you have here and there to make it more realistic user added image. This definately qualifies for the competition, as you just have to make it realistic user added image. Just letting you know unless you didnt know, this competition ends at the end of the month. Alright, keep it up user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 6 15-04-2003 , 08:13 PM
Subscriber
Great are you doing that from a tutorial? I remeber seeing a Audi TT tutorial somewhere.

Are tutorials allowed in the comp? I don't see why not.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 7 15-04-2003 , 09:55 PM
Nope, no tutorials... i kinda started the imprezza tutorial, then scrapped it, and started this car.. Everything is done by me, image planes (ripped from a model) etc. I have no idea how to make the texture for the car, so if anyone can help me on that, if they are allowed, thx.

# 8 15-04-2003 , 10:34 PM
Hey, i am trying to get ride of the seems on the suface between the halfs, and just all the patches in general. Can anyone help me out in how to get rid of them? I am kinda getting rid of them, but its still not perfect.

# 9 16-04-2003 , 12:02 AM
Subscriber
cover it with fiberglass user added image. Heh, so you say this is polygons? If so then maybe something in the normals section (HOTBOX>Edit Polygons>Normals>Softenharden or Conform).. that may do something man. I am not sure though user added image. Also you may want to go into wireframe view and make sure that all the polygons are merged in those areas. BTW, for textures. you can go to highend3d.com and find some good shaders there. If you want to texture the whole thing manually.. then i suggest getting some points and watching the uv planar mapping tutorial on this site, its amazing! Also, i know that mike has a great tutorial at his site... https://www.mtmckinley.net user added image. Go check those 2 out, its not easy stuff though user added image, takes almost as much time as making the model at times user added image.

# 10 16-04-2003 , 06:18 AM
I am using nurbs, and i was joining the surfaces, then using rebuild surface... seems to be working not to bad. Ill post a couple updates in a bit.

# 11 16-04-2003 , 07:36 AM
here is a render of some progress. flattend out some of the seems, added headlights, and grill (both not finished) Added simple textures. I can't seem to get mental ray to work, so i threw in some crappy lighting, but it is really late at night, and i don't have time to do anything special. Any C & C will be very usefull.

# 12 16-04-2003 , 07:38 AM
The side view now

# 13 16-04-2003 , 07:39 AM
and the back end

# 14 16-04-2003 , 08:21 AM
Subscriber
Probably should be a bit more shiny, and a little less of whatever attribute you put the noise on. Very interesting metallic crystal paint job tho.

Maybe you could increase the frequency ration or something and render at higher res, but only if you have a smoking system and a lotta ram =)

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 15 16-04-2003 , 02:33 PM
Subscriber
Hey snowboarder, its looking great, just yea, that paint just is not right! Go to highend3d.com and go Maya>Shaders at the top.. and then go down the list until you find a shader called car paint.. i think thats the name. Anyways its a really glossy blue like that with a tint of that sparkly look... like real car paint, it really is a wonderful shader.