Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 05-08-2007 , 10:16 PM

displacement map not working too well

I found some free textures at Displaceit.com ( really cool 3d textures) and I wanted to test out one of there textures. When I render the image I get a whole bunch of triangles and squares in the scene. Why is it doing this? the diplacement texture im using is the same as the colormap, only with no color.

user added image

# 2 06-08-2007 , 12:29 AM
Subscriber
Yo,
I might be able to help you out, The triangles represent the tessellation of the surface and how it reacts with your dmap (displacement texture). One of your problems might be poor tessellation, but I need to see an image of the dmap you are using to be sure.

# 3 06-08-2007 , 09:51 AM
heres the displacement texture im using

user added image

# 4 06-08-2007 , 04:02 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Displacement doesn't work that easy at least not in my experience.
First of all i would look at the geometry(probably a polyplane,yes?); it will displace better when you increase the number of polygons.
If that doesn't work you must go to renderingeditors=>mental ray=>approximationeditor and press create, and from there it's playing with settings until you get the desired result.

And if none of the things people say to you will work, you probably know why they're free images:lmao:

# 5 06-08-2007 , 04:32 PM
Subscriber
Hi,
Now I see what its suppose to look like.
- I started with a poly plane (subdivision 10X10)
- I attached the dmap to the geometry
- In the plane's Attribute editor, click the second tab and select Displacement map,
then turn on "Feature Displacement".
- adjust the "Initial Sample Rate" and "Extra Sample Rate"
*WARNING: The higher the numbers the longer the render time*
Ok, I rendered a few test frames to see what it would look.
In the images I provided: Image 1 and 1a/ ISR=25,ESR=6
Image 2/ ISR=30,ESR=0
Image 3/ ISR=30,ESR=6
You can play with the ISR and ESR and render until you get the look you want.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by RockyMills_01; 17-04-2013 at 12:01 AM.
# 6 07-08-2007 , 02:11 PM

Displacement level of detail

Hi, Monkey Wrench.

Thanks for trying our textures. RockyMills_01 is right. LOD of displacement affects the detailedness and i.e. quality of the resulting surface. But it also drives render to work slowly so it's wise to use adaptive subdivision that automaticaly sets dispacement LOD in respect to the image resolution and the size of an object to apply displacement map to.

Please write us info@displaceit.com on any questions about our products. We are giving textures (from the Product section of www.displaceit.com) for free to any artist who provide an unfinished image that could be improved by applying our 3D Textures. The only condition is to submit the resulting image to our Gallery (through info@displaceit.com).

Hope u'll like our products and services.

Sincerely yours,
Glib