Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-07-2009 , 11:20 PM
The Nurb Herd

Fatal Error Help

I'm having a problem where maya crashes almost as soon as any scene is loaded.
the shell says
-
maya has encountered a fatal error

Signal: 11 (Unknown Signal)
-
anyone know what this is?

# 2 16-07-2009 , 01:13 AM
Subscriber
Most likely a RAM issue, like not enough.

You set the scene in wireframe mode last time you saved it so when you open the scene it will open in wireframes right? Not with textures on it right?

And you have saved consistantly in different maya files right?

If you can open it in wireframe mode, put everything in display layer and turn off "visible" with most of the geometries.

Delete history and optimize.
Do a render diognostic and read what the script editor say and follow.

But most likely a RAM issue.
This has happen to me many times that I lost count especially with dense polygons and fur.

# 3 16-07-2009 , 09:05 AM
The Nurb Herd
thanks for the reply, I'm just gonna tell the system guys today and get them to fix it... Everyone had gone home when i had the problem.

you are right about the wireframe but some scenes are not saved in wireframe and the problem is that every scene crashes. user added image

# 4 16-07-2009 , 02:54 PM
Subscriber
Also you can treak your Win XP or Vista and just turn off anything that you don't need so more RAM can be used for maya.
You can just google how to optimize your Operating System.
I am not sure about macintosh though.

And

Bump up your Virtual Memory. Remember to write down the original numbers in case you want to go back to the default settings. I have 4 Gigs for RAM, but my OS reads 3.5.
For the Initial Size, the original numbers are 2046
and for Maximum Size is 4092.

If you have 4 Gigs of RAM. You can put the Initial Size as 4092.

You can google about Virtual Memory.

If all else fails...you might need to go back to the previous scene files and export and import onto a fresh new scene and optimize and save all in wireframe mode and put in display layers etc.