Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 24-11-2010 , 12:16 AM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by acid44
Normal is better than bump, not sure about disp. maps though.

what an odd thing to say.

...a bump would be fine.

# 17 24-11-2010 , 01:57 AM
Acid44
But normal is better, from what I understand user added image

Isn't a normal map a more defined bumpmap? They both get the same effect but normal maps do it from all axis, and bumpmaps only do it from one, right?

Last edited by Acid44; 24-11-2010 at 02:00 AM.
# 18 24-11-2010 , 08:02 PM
Here's an little update I did on the rear of the gun..

user added image

Any crits?

# 19 25-11-2010 , 12:14 AM
user added image

user added image

any crits, any at all..?

# 20 25-11-2010 , 06:39 AM
Subscriber
Hey Hummlas

I really dig the level of detail you put into this Its very clean.

While not a critique I do have one question about the final render. What type of finish are you going for?

Because if you're going for the "Hey lookat my brand new off the shelf, never been fired chromed Hand Cannon!" Then you've hit the mark in my opinion because it looks nice.

If you want to go for more of a used look you could add a small ammount of scratches along the slide and trigger guard (Thats where they tend to collect if you're drawing and holstering the weapon) But the scratches are usually very faint and thin.

But it all really depends on what you want your final render to look like. Good Job!

:attn:

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 21 25-11-2010 , 09:52 AM

Originally posted by CGWolfgang
Hey Hummlas

I really dig the level of detail you put into this Its very clean.

While not a critique I do have one question about the final render. What type of finish are you going for?

Because if you're going for the "Hey lookat my brand new off the shelf, never been fired chromed Hand Cannon!" Then you've hit the mark in my opinion because it looks nice.

If you want to go for more of a used look you could add a small ammount of scratches along the slide and trigger guard (Thats where they tend to collect if you're drawing and holstering the weapon) But the scratches are usually very faint and thin.

But it all really depends on what you want your final render to look like. Good Job!

:attn:

Thank you! user added image

The used look would be way more awesome, but I don't know at what end to start (never really painted textures before).

Should the scratches be made with a bump-map and perhaps a map for the reflective color (using mia materials)? should I paint the scratches in the diffuse color as well?

# 22 25-11-2010 , 08:41 PM
Subscriber
I attached a pic with that shows what I mean.

Most weapons that see frequent use tend to look like this. They're cared for but even the best of cared for items eventually start to show wear. Unless constantly polished they loose a bit of that shine and reflectivity and pick up scratches and wear marks from use.

Unless you're going for a weapon that's been grossly neglected I'm sure you can get this look with a specular map. I think the goal would be to break up how light/reflections bounce off the surface of your model.

Attached Thumbnails

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 23 25-11-2010 , 08:42 PM

Update

I changed from a smooth chrome to a brushed metal/steel kinda look, haven't actually painted any textures, except for a bump and reflection map for the grip.

user added image

user added image