Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 61 26-09-2006 , 02:45 PM
Hey Jay!

Love the wrinkles, especially the way they "Cross" over, nice touch there i've got to say!

One thing that I might suggest is to tone down the wrinkles gowing down on the lover eyelid as they seem a bit harsh to me, just my two pence though, as wrinkles are quite subjective to the individual!

Are you going to do the skin texture in Z too?

Cheers

Steve

# 62 26-09-2006 , 03:53 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Steve

thanks for your comments, however a small insight to Z for you dude, the image is a grab directly from Z. Now the bump isnt done with millions of pixels directly onto the model like a displacement, its actually the bump shader material, and its very powerful, more than any other bump Ive come across. Im actually painting on a texture using the shader, so I'll have alot of control once the bump map is done and goes to maya. Doing it this way is far easier than arsing with dismaps at the same time, this way I can keep them separate

Cheers
Jay

# 63 26-09-2006 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber
thanks there Pixel, much appreciated user added image well that's a start, i'll be well on my way now to z-brush land. looking forward to Simply Z-Brush loluser added image user added image :headbang: user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 64 26-09-2006 , 06:29 PM
Cool, heard good things about the bump shader material, need to get round to giving it a go.

When I said skin texture, i meant skin colour!

# 65 26-09-2006 , 10:30 PM
Yo gster

Yeah I forgot to add that answer. Well I have a skin texture (color map) thats pretty good alredy but Ive been so blown away by Zbrush's ability to paint, I may opt for a new texture...time will tell

Cheers
Jay

# 66 27-09-2006 , 04:12 AM
Subscriber
pixel, i got the object in to Z-Brush but from there I'm a little lost. Its quite an inferface, is it easy when you get the hang of it, i mean those tool boxes anf stuff are huge and all that stuff about resolution, ?? brush size?? well thats not too difficult lol.

any thing you got there you can show us ?? I'd dig to see your work if you have done some.

that bump shader looks cool, reminds me a little of the shaders in motion bulder, but you cant paint in motion builder i dont think, i am just learning that too, and combustion, pro-tools, cubase, reason, fusion, AE 7 and boujou and ect ect I want to use all this stuff so that in a year or two, or three, if the world is still here and i am near electricity, i can make my own animations intergarted with real footage and music as a hobby, not much room in the world for famous movie makers or animators. Nice hobby though.

nice work Jay, as always!

# 67 27-09-2006 , 08:25 AM
Thanks mirek

Be careful when importing Zygote/poser models, they are triangulated to hell and contain odd geometry, Z brush does not like this at the best of times...even it converts n-gons, despite their non linear quads

Cheers
Jay

# 68 27-09-2006 , 09:02 AM
Subscriber
lol you got me jay. true to your signature message at the bottom of your page lol, well done. user added image

Mate, is there a way to convert to quads in Maya before export to Z-brush? I think from what i remember that Z-brush likes quads, i forgot, it's been a while the interface really does puzzle me and i find it intimidating. is but is there a way to rebuild in Maya first, if so i can check out the help files (Maya 7) if you can piont me in that direction.

no biggy, but one day, when uni is over i would like to get into it more, i guess once you have done a model or two it would seem easier. I just lack time.
user added image

# 69 27-09-2006 , 10:38 AM
Hey Mirek

You can use the Quadrangulate option under the polygons menu (well that's where it was in version 6, as I think from your WIP threads you've got maya 8) to convert your model to quads, your best off doing a poly clean up though to make sure you've got no non manifold geometry.

Cheers

# 70 27-09-2006 , 01:33 PM
Subscriber
hey man, very cool, thank you. It doesn't suprise me you answered. I didn't even know it was there. Anyway, I took 8 off, had trouble with the view renderer (probably me as usual). man, like i said I really appreciate your interest and the simple answer. You are one of the guys that has always been there for me, thanks for that. I might check out your work soon, i have been so busy it is a luxury to get on here. I'll check it out, and dont expect, wow thats great and wow, thats incredible and ect... lol user added image There's a loy of that going round and you dont need another. I'm tough but also polite. You know that anyway.

to tell the truth, i have so much on that i might have to wait another 8 weeks or so when i have that piece of paper called freedom (a degree) before looking into Z-brush again. I have to learn Pro-tools within a fortnight (just got myself a DVD tut i will be looking at shortly), lucky for me it is nearly the same as cu-base. the uni will not let me use Cu-base, they say i have to use Pro-Tools. I will probably sneak the files back here if I have too much trouble, I mean what the H..? Broadcast wave at 48000K is still broadcast wave at 48000K whatever program you do it on, right?

err, non-manifold?? ummm, clean up my geometry (you mean the mesh??) Best i look at the help files lol

user added image

# 71 27-09-2006 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
Heya Jay, been awhile user added image

Looking top notch as always mate, glad to hear you've finally dived into ZBrush user added image

Have had a slight look at it myself, and it seems really awsome. Personally, I love the ability to paint textures directly onto the model using images, like skin closeups and stuff user added image

Cya 'round mate user added image
-JH

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 72 28-09-2006 , 05:30 AM
Blomkaal

Duuuuuude, yeah it has been a while, hope all is good with you.
Thanks for the comments, yeah Z is pretty cool, I found it a bit odd at first, but now its getting there

Later
Jay

# 73 28-09-2006 , 06:24 PM
Update Guys

Been a little busy but here ya go...

Cheers
Jay

user added image

# 74 28-09-2006 , 06:31 PM
Alright Jay,

Hows tricks?

Looking really good man!

Just a quick question, what limit are you putting on your models going back into Maya from Z, or are you using the disp map on your base mesh, then using the bump for the details as you said previous?

Cheers

Steve

# 75 28-09-2006 , 06:43 PM
hey Steve

yeah good mate, bit of a cold atm, but chugging along.

Yeah the bump is as I said, but the base mesh I divide once and then apply the dismap. The origianl base mesh in Maya is 2054 polys, the Z version is 525440 (unusable in Maya), but the divided Maya one before applying the dismap is 8210polys, not bad huh?

hope it helps
Cheers
Jay