Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 08-05-2011 , 11:14 AM
Subscriber
I know its a long shot but does anyone have one of these (or one like it) - I ask as I am having problems at the rear(closed)/middle(opened) area - all the online images are naff in this section.

Any photos would be great

# 17 08-05-2011 , 10:12 PM
Subscriber
Great Idea!! Gonna Keep my eye on this. I tried looking, and I think I am having similar issues. I am seeing the middle open area but not the rear closed area properly.

"From Concept to Completion"
# 18 08-05-2011 , 10:31 PM
Acid44

I know its a long shot but does anyone have one of these

You're so in luck, it isn't even funny. I took over a friends lease where I'm living now, and some of his crap is still here. I'm pretty sure his is the same one you're modeling. Will get pics now.

EDIT: Here ya go, about 60 megs. If you need any other angles let me know, just circle what you need close ups of and different angles of and such. user added image

And sorry for the fuzziness and repeats and such, the lighting in here is horrid :p

https://rapidshare.com/files/461409420/Game__Watch.rar

Last edited by Acid44; 08-05-2011 at 11:06 PM.
# 19 09-05-2011 , 07:04 AM
Subscriber
OMG Thank you - Perfect. Many many thx`s

There are two square bits on the rear(closed) I had no idea were there - These parts are important as they show that they stop the lid from going past 180 and the photos also show the sort of gap that is viable near the ribbon between the two parts. They also show that the pin is viable from the side (something I guess/recalled from memory). And also just how deep the clasp goes. All these things are important as I`m going for 100% match on this and none of these things were on the web photos.

Mine was lost in a fire while I was at uni.

I am so grateful many thx

# 20 09-05-2011 , 09:42 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
dude you move at some insane speeds

# 21 09-05-2011 , 10:13 AM
Subscriber
Thx but this is not a hard model at all. (Well apart from not being able to find good ref for the rear - sorted now). Only problem area I see will be the screens - And thats more a texture problem so they will be last for now.

My goal in these challenges now is to learn stuff I don`t know that well - so lighting and rendering for this one is the focus. Hoping to bang out this model by Friday giving me plenty of time to set up the materials and lights.

# 22 09-05-2011 , 10:38 AM
Acid44

OMG Thank you - Perfect. Many many thx`s

There are two square bits on the rear(closed) I had no idea were there - These parts are important as they show that they stop the lid from going past 180 and the photos also show the sort of gap that is viable near the ribbon between the two parts. They also show that the pin is viable from the side (something I guess/recalled from memory). And also just how deep the clasp goes. All these things are important as I`m going for 100% match on this and none of these things were on the web photos.

Mine was lost in a fire while I was at uni.

I am so grateful many thx

Glad I could help. I've got some crap to do today, but when I'm done, I'll find somewhere in my house with decent lighting and get any more that I can for yah user added image

# 23 09-05-2011 , 10:58 AM
Subscriber
i think what will make this awesome is if you manage to make the screen look game and watch like. you know how the game and watch characters always appear to be above the background? if you can create that then it'd boost your awesomeness

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 24 09-05-2011 , 11:26 AM
Are you going to spend the remaining time for the competition doing rendering and lighting then tweety? Or do you plan on modelling something else to go with it? maybe the box and packaging? Looks good btw. user added image

# 25 09-05-2011 , 11:50 AM
Acid44

i think what will make this awesome is if you manage to make the screen look game and watch like. you know how the game and watch characters always appear to be above the background? if you can create that then it'd boost your awesomeness

The screen is something I was going to mention in my last post. It appears on mine to have a thinf plastic film above the screen, like a covering or whatever. If you could model that, Tweety, it would be bad ass. Ill try to get it in a picture, but I don't know if I'll be able to

# 26 09-05-2011 , 12:42 PM
Subscriber
The screen is made of a number of layers - the rear is the background with the objects that don`t move printed on to it, then there is another layer with all the animations and bits on it - when you turn it on all off them light up for a second (sort of a quick test) then on top of that there is a protected glass/plastic layer.
I have already got the background created as a texture as I took some screen grabs of the web version of the game. When all characters where on one side of the screen - grab - then stitched them together in Photoshop. The middle layer will be the hardest to get right as I might have to grab every frame of animation for every character and then cut them all out.

The idea was to create a scene a little like my Grimlock one with the box and instruction book, hopefully a little camera move (hence me needing a lot of the animations). I want to make sure I get this looking as real as possible so yer a lot of the time will be lighting tweaking.

But to be fair - I would do myself very proud if I did get the screen done right - I am very luck that the flash version of the game is up on the net as it will be a great source of ref for that part. But we getting ahead of ourselves - need to finish the case first.

# 27 09-05-2011 , 07:26 PM
Subscriber
Dame that was some tricky polys - got the right side of the bottom done - meaning its just the bottom of thing now left to model.

user added image

# 28 14-05-2011 , 12:18 AM
Great choice! And outstanding work. Very cool of Acid44!! Great presentation on you WIP too.
Keep kicking butt!

# 29 13-06-2011 , 10:59 PM
Subscriber
First sorry for the disapairing act again in this challenage but I do have a very god excuise.

Been in Jail for a month, bloody fantastic ain`t it.

Every thing cleared up now but it has turned my world up side down. Going to need a few days to get my stuff out of storage as my GF has kicked me out and ended things. But now I am going to chuck myself in to this even more now I am back in Wales with the folks. Not having a good year.

Will update once I get going again.

Double Cat A prison is not a place I would like to end up again.

# 30 13-06-2011 , 11:04 PM
Subscriber
what the....??
wow... what a rough year for you!
I wonder what you did to end up in jail... user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D