Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 21-12-2011 , 04:27 PM
Subscriber
you have to select the light to see what objects is lighting.
Try creating a new light.

# 32 21-12-2011 , 04:35 PM
Noober than noob

you have to select the light to see what objects is lighting.
Try creating a new light.

The light here is Point light and these are the objects that have connections to it.
What does this mean? Is it illuminating or not what's grayed out (particle shape)?
If it's not, what to do?

EDIT: Surface Shading Properties > Diffuse coeff seems to make it visible just as much as Incandescence does... Only problem is that it looks like gigantic blobs, not at all like what it was in the scene where I made the cloud...

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 21-12-2011 at 04:45 PM.
# 33 26-12-2011 , 02:45 PM
Noober than noob
Meh, forget about space dust, it doesn't really show in any video of real-space i see (space rip's videos of the solar system on youtube for example), might as well use particles only for comets. I just hope I can figure out how to make those particles reflect light in the scene. Maybe if i don't import them but make them here, they will reflect the light.

Last edited by SilverFeather; 26-12-2011 at 02:48 PM.
# 34 02-01-2012 , 06:10 PM
Noober than noob
No matter what particles i add, the particles just won't receive light.
They're just black blobs. Anywhere else those blobs would be blue.

In picture 2: A normal scene in which the particle cloud is illuminated with the exact same type of point light that is placed in the Solar System scene.
Shadows and lighting work perfectly fine on it.

If I import this same cloud in that other scene, the cloud will no longer be illuminated. Maybe I should delete the original point light there and add a new one.

I've deleted the original light in the Solar scene... The results on the cloud were terrible. Just look at the cloud in picture 3. It's no longer fuzzy, it looks like a freaking opaque mesh.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 02-01-2012 at 06:48 PM.
# 35 02-01-2012 , 07:29 PM
Noober than noob
Never mind, I got this. It was the density. Too big for the cloud. Well, now I think it looks normal.

So... uh... any suggestions?

And I don't think you can see this while looking at Jupiter though... So something is a little off...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 02-01-2012 at 08:31 PM.
# 36 02-01-2012 , 10:03 PM
Noober than noob
I think this is as close to the Milky Way's dust as I can go without crashing the scene. The stars seem to blend well with the clouds, but idk if the clouds should be cyan or maybe yellow or... purple?

Well, the test worked for the vid.
Maya Solar System Test (now with cosmic dust!) - YouTube

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 03-01-2012 at 12:44 AM.
# 37 03-01-2012 , 03:26 PM
Noober than noob
Is there no way to reduce the flickering of distant glowing spheres? They are way closer to the camera than the smoke, so it's not the camera distance. What else could be causing this flickering? Anti Aliasing? This only happens when the camera moves.

Well... had no choice but to increase Anti Aliasing samples to 3. That slowed the rendering down considerably... Might as well mix the already rendered images with the new ones to stop the flickering and save time.

Last edited by SilverFeather; 03-01-2012 at 09:59 PM.
# 38 04-01-2012 , 01:12 AM
The Nurb Herd
you have after effects right? why are you even bothering rendering these? glow in AE.

they could be done entirely in 2D if i'm honest.

# 39 04-01-2012 , 12:37 PM
Noober than noob

you have after effects right? why are you even bothering rendering these? glow in AE.

they could be done entirely in 2D if i'm honest.

Yes but if something such as a planet will eclipse them, they will not act as if they are really glowing. I do not know if AE can also memorize the location of the stars either, i'd have to move a second camera in AE in that case, just to simulate as if the stars are real when they'd be 2D.
Even if I'd put them in a second layer, I'd still need to think of camera angle. Not something I'm good at figuring.

As for doing planets in 2D, not what I want. Would be too difficult when I'm a total noob at AE and use it only for the purpose of merging clips.

Last edited by SilverFeather; 04-01-2012 at 12:42 PM.
# 40 04-01-2012 , 03:58 PM
Noober than noob
Well, this is the end result. Took 4 hours of rendering though. -.- Darn anti-aliasing.
Maya Solar System (scene mix in After Effects) - YouTube

As for HD mode, still testing. I think I failed. No way to tell, as my monitor's not a HD one. To me, the image looks kind of stretched.
Maya Solar System HD - YouTube

So, if everything's ok, I'll get to the next scene which involves zooming in on Saturn and rotation of the camera behind it.
Is there anything that needs fixing or should I move on to the next scene?

Last edited by SilverFeather; 05-01-2012 at 12:04 AM.