Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-06-2006 , 03:17 PM
Subscriber

Batman

Here is again one of my first few attempts at a human model, all CC is welcome...

user added image

# 2 03-06-2006 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
he has mr. incredibles body

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 3 03-06-2006 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber
user added image

# 4 03-06-2006 , 03:23 PM
Subscriber
user added image

# 5 03-06-2006 , 03:50 PM
I think he is missing a head and some hands!...:p

Looks like a really good start mate - well done - I really like the weight of the character - the heavy chest versus the spindly legs - very superheroish.

The main problems that I see at the moment are the shoulder area - you really need to define the deltoid muscle and how it sits on top of the arm muscles - and the lower leg which in the side view looks it's central axis is angled too far.

In the side view, it looks like you are really trying to angle the limbs so that they shift across the central axis of the figure, which is good and will really make your model - I would just watch to make sure that they are balanced.

Hope this helps mate. user added image

# 6 03-06-2006 , 04:31 PM
Subscriber
Your always so helpful aaron thanks! After you pointed out he was missing a head I decided to add one! I would also like to add this is my first time modeling this way, starting out with a primitive and extruding and such. I usually make it in nurbs then switch to polys and combine but this seems much cleaner and I seem to have more control.

I will probably change the head but here is what it will look like.
user added image
user added image

# 7 03-06-2006 , 04:35 PM
Subscriber
Here is my ref just a model sheet from Cartoon Network

user added image

# 8 03-06-2006 , 10:45 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Cool

Yeah I agree with arran on the shoulder but looking at the references its not too bad.

My advice is to not texture it until you are finished, in case you need to move,add edges etc. You'll only distort uvs and have to go and do twice the work to fix them up.

Good choice of model though, I love the Batman animated stuff, and the Batman Begins movie- kick ass!!

Jay

# 9 03-06-2006 , 10:57 PM
yeah, I have to admit, it's looking pretty close to the reference. This is going to look cool when finished. user added image

Last edited by arran; 03-06-2006 at 11:32 PM.