Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 46 10-03-2009 , 03:12 AM
Street view...

Attached Thumbnails
# 47 12-03-2009 , 01:13 AM
The model is good but the texture is somehow bad... but i'm as bad as you so i can't help you at texturing point sorry... :blush:

# 48 12-03-2009 , 01:18 AM
Thanks Coldwave, I agree, the texturing isn't right, I think it's because it's too repeated, it's my first attempt at texturing something like this so maybe that's what I should concentrate on for now!

# 49 12-03-2009 , 02:50 AM
Subscriber
definitely focus on the texturing it could bring a whole new look to the house. I would hide the trees or whatever is bogging your render time down just for the testing purposes if you're not already.

# 50 12-03-2009 , 03:14 AM
Rhetoric Camel: Will do that for sure, just got them all organized into a layer so will do that. Have been playing with the lighting to see how it brings out the textures, if I can't get them to look much better I'll think about changing the ones that are looking crappy and see how I go from there, as I don't really know that much it's pretty scary at every change!

# 51 12-03-2009 , 03:21 AM
Subscriber
regardless i still think it looks cool

but come to think of it... what is that house made of? and the grey fence?

maybe you could think about layered textures, i saw another member here, Merik, with a WIP to do with layered textures. so you could put some moss onto the walls or something (if they are made of stone or wood)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 52 12-03-2009 , 03:27 AM
Chirone: He he, I wondered how long it would be before someone asked what the house was made of! I thought of it as being made chiseled out of a huge piece of stone, and the brick texture not actually brick but brick shapes carved in, there isn't actually a fence in the scene, obviously I've done a poor job of that! Hopefully the render I'm doing now will look a bit better, I'll post it when it's done, but thanks again for the good words, I only entered this challenge to see what feedback I got and to get a judgement of wether I should continue with 3d or go back to 2d and hand drawing everything, I'm loving it too much to stop either way! :attn:

# 53 12-03-2009 , 07:42 AM
The changes to the lighting are kind of hard to see on this size of a file but I think it is definitely helping, I'll keep tweaking it here and there for the next couple of weeks and just see what happens I guess!

Attached Thumbnails
# 54 12-03-2009 , 08:12 AM
The Nurb Herd
i find that the physical sun and sky will wash out the textures a bit. I've never really tweaked it tho...

# 55 12-03-2009 , 08:24 AM
Yeah to get the best out of it you have to fiddle with the gamma

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 56 12-03-2009 , 08:25 AM
Hi again. Good work but a few mistakes. Work out the proportions. See the red circle compared to your firecrane. The door is little than it, it's impossible in real life. And compare sitting man the pink one with his size or a little bit smaller but it fits like the 1st floor and it could just not get through that door without smashing himself. The wall fence in green is almost like the 1st floor hight it could be real in some cases but compared to the bench it wash away the reality.
I'm not trying to be bad just advice you. Good work tough mate keep it up user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 57 12-03-2009 , 09:26 AM
Thanks for the input Coldwave, I think it must be just the way it looks because before positioning the postbox and the benches I scaled them next to the front door to make sure they were right, I've just double checked them and they look right when they are next to it, the slot in the letter box is just over the height of the door handles, what would be around4ft, the door is hidden slightly by the surrounding marble so it would make it look smaller.
The wall is meant to be quite high but maybe that's making the benches look wrong, I'll have a tinker with it at some point and see how I go. Thanks for the advice though!

# 58 12-03-2009 , 09:31 AM
Hammer.horror and Gster123: You are right, the physical sun and sky does wash out the textures, if it wasn't there they'd look like comic book colors! I'll have a fiddle with the gamma to see what i can do with it, so thanks for pointing that out!

# 59 12-03-2009 , 06:44 PM
Got to work on the texturing and it's starting to look a bit better, the problem is it doesn't look anywhere near as good once I shrink it down to post it here, hope the file size limit is a bit higher when it comes to the final submission! Or does anyone know a better file typr to save and post it here rather than jpeg?

# 60 12-03-2009 , 07:20 PM
Ah ha! Got it sorted, I just had the jpeg quality setting in photoshop up to max so I was having to scale the image down too much, idiot that I am! Here's the beginnings of the refined textures side of things...

Attached Thumbnails