Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 02-10-2014 , 10:16 AM

Hi Res Hard Surface UV Unwrap Workflow

Hi guys,

Just wondering what the best way of unwrapping a hardsurface model that has a high poly count would be. I intend to paint this model using MARI so I don't know if that has any effect on how the model should be unwrapped.

What would be the general workflow for this type of model?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjx9vjlb6u...frame.jpg?dl=0

user added image

Thanks in advance!

# 2 13-10-2014 , 06:30 PM
I went ahead and unwrapped it using a mixture of techniques. I started by unwrapping with an auto-unwrap and then refined it. This was fine for me because I then textured it in Mari which meant I did not have to worry to much about the layout of the UV shells and seams.

I did have to make sure that all of my shells had a uniform texture size so that none of the model would appear lower resolution.

Hope this helps for anyone else having the same trouble I had. Let me know your thoughts on this process.