Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-03-2004 , 12:21 PM

My Latest

Well here is my latest creation... It all started over two years ago with a sketch I drew of a candle with a screaming skull in the flame. Yesterday I went flipping through my folder of drawings and thought I should do in in 3D. So Here it is, I call it "Late Night Experiments". I used Maya to make everything, then used Photoshop to place the skull, and my signature on one of the books spines. Hope you like it. Oh yeah, this is the small version of the pic.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-03-2004 , 04:23 PM
Very Nice !! user added image

# 3 07-03-2004 , 08:09 PM
Subscriber
I like it a lot and it seems original. I think you might want to tone down the flame a bit because candles don't usually have such a big flare, but then again, you might not be able to hide the skull in there if you did. :\ Still I like it a lot. user added image keep up the good work.

edit - if you feel like going back and improving upon this piece at all, you also might want to show where the candle has melted down the sides as well. Sort of has that "plastic" look to it right now.

good job dude!

# 4 12-03-2004 , 04:06 AM
I like it very nice!

-------------------------------------------
# 5 16-03-2004 , 06:34 AM
Subscriber
I just joined the Site. This was the first post I Checked out. Very Cool!

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained.
# 6 16-03-2004 , 08:31 PM

nice

nice work

Troy

# 7 16-03-2004 , 08:52 PM
ok it's not too bad, however you seem to have paid more attention to putting the face in the flame than thinking about how that flame would actually affect the scene. You have a glass vase thing there, it's reflective right? so why isnt it reflecting the flame user added image also the flame seems to have no affect on anything in the scene whatsoever and so it doesnt sit well.

What I would do is add an orangey yellow point light and have it casting a subtle illumination on the scene. That will help it out a lot. Also you may want to do a reflection map (see the script I uploaded to do that) or raytrace the scene to get the reflections etc.

Oh and the scene is also a little too dark bring it up a touch, is that candle the only illumination? is so then you need to make it much more contrasty too. Remember candles dont illuminate that well user added image

Hope you take my comments as they were meant (as constructive critiscm) and not think I'm being mean for the sake of it.

Alan

Ps. Doghouse, welcome to SM

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 8 16-03-2004 , 09:03 PM
Kevin
nice but far to much reflection, pen looks to plastic and a little more texture on the books needed imo user added image

but cool

# 9 17-03-2004 , 05:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks everyone for feedback. Maybe I will take some time and re-do it... As for the candle, yeah i should add the wax drips on the side. The below picture shows that the beaker thing actually does reflect, but that the flame actually sits higher than the actual beaker goes from the current POV. Yeah no worries on your critisism. I thank you all for it. After all... That's what makes us better at what we do! As for the books, I did put a paper-grain type texture on it, I've had a few people tell me to make it more prominent and I think i should make the books show less light on the spines. Anyway thanks everyone! ^_^

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 17-03-2004 , 05:05 AM

One more thing...

I forgot to mention that this is the SMALL version of the pic, in the larger one you can see alot more detail. So that also contributes to the darkness.